Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Character Chart Example from Ready-Made Family




Yo, die-hard pansters in our Seekerville readership, please pardon me a moment while I post this as promised. Try not to twitch too much or Cap'n Jack may wake up from his drunken slumber. LOL!

MY ANSWERS ARE IN ALL CAPS AND BOLDED BESIDE THE QUESTION.

This post is in reference to my Character Chart Template and Preparing for a Writing Spree Plotstorming (my character-driven plotting) posts on 12/16 and 1/20.

Scene Index Example post (also from Ready-Made Family) to follow on March 17 next month here which will conclude this tutorial.

One thing to keep in mind is that I used to be a die-hard panster...and for the most part, still am. My characters drive my books. This is why I spend great effort getting to know them prior to pansting the book.

Also, you may find later (through contest critiques or editorial/agent feedback) that you need to better develop your characters. These posts are coming from someone who has consistantly received overwhelmingly positive editorial, agent, reviewer and reader feedback on creating strong characters. My editors say that they can always count on me to nail characterization. You want your editor/future editors to be able to know that about you too. So, even if you're a panster, your characters have to be proven and effective even if your plot is stellar, if this makes sense.

Your methods will only work if they impress acquiring editors, pub house boards and your core readers. I only say this to encourage you to keep an open mind as you learn and grow in your craft. My methods won't work for everyone. You have to find a method that not only works for you, but creates characters that will sell and sustain your career. After all, that's one of the main points of all of our hard work, right? Landing a readership base and securing shelf space in bookstores.

I say all that to say this: My character chart may click with some of you, but if it doesn't DON'T FEEL BAD OR STRESSED. There are a gazillion different ways to create great characters. Charting characters just happens to have been the method that worked for me. Take from this what you feel may benefit you (even if that's zilch. LOL!) and toss out the rest. No pressure here. LOL!

FIND WHAT METHODS WORK FOR YOU. Hopefully your methods will lead to contracts and a stellar readership base and sales numbers that will better your chances of continued contacts. Trust me, it matters.

But...since I did promise this to those who were interested...here we go:

(For brevity's sake, I'm only posting my hero's character chart. If you're interested in the heroine's character chart, e-mail me privately).

-----

BY THE WAY: the below took me approximately 10 minutes per character to complete. If you choose to do a character chart, you can fill it out at any stage of the game. Prior to writing, during the writing of, or after completion of the novel.

FYI: ("C" means "Character")

Name: BEN DILLINGER

Age: 29

Education: COLLEGE DEGREE AND CAREER MILITARY

Current Career: US AIR FORCE PARARESCUE JUMPER

Pertinent past careers/training: NA

Celebrity look-alike (if any): LOOKS LIKE AN ASIAN BEN AFFLECK

Type of dress/style: DIGITAL DESERT OR GREEN CAMO PANTS AND T-SHIRT BUT ALSO WEARS PREPPY DARK POLOS AND KAKHI SHORTS AND JEANS

Hair color and style: OIL BLACK, MILITARY BUZZ, SHAVED ABOVE HIS EARS
Eye color and shape: ALMOND SHAPE, ASIAN EYES, HERSHEY BROWN W/CARAMEL-COLORED FLECKS

Other physical attributes/description/build/physique/body type: VERY TALL FOR ASIAN

Height and weight: WELL BUILT. FIVE-ELEVEN. VERY PHYSICALLY FIT AND MUSCULAR FOR HIS JOB WHICH REQUIRES A RIGOROUS EXERCISE AND TRAINING REGIMENS

Physical limitation/scar/injury/disability (if any): NO PHYSICAL. HAS A PROBLEM WITH CONFIDENCE IN HIMSELF IN RELATING TO AND COMMUNICATING WITH HIS SPECIAL NEEDS BROTHER WHO HAS MOSAIC DOWN SYNDROME

Pertinent background/backstory/Pertinent past events (good or bad): HIS FAMILY LOST THEIR HOME AND ALL POSSESSIONS WHEN HE WAS YOUNG. HE RECALLS THE CHRISTIAN CHURCHES IN TOWN HELPING HIS FAMILY. THIS DEVELOPED HIS FAITH AND DREW HIM TO GOD

Greatest accomplishment/achievment in his eyes: BECOMING AN ELITE SPECIAL OPS PJ, SINCE THE DROPOUT RATE IN THE PJ PIPELINE IS OVER 80% FAILURE RATES. THERE ARE LESS THAN A 1000 PJs WORLDWIDE AND HE'S ASSISTED WITH MANY NATIONALLY KNOWN DISASTERS

Defining moments: THE CHILDHOOD FIRE

Traumatic events that have shaped them: NOT TRAUMATIC BUT GROWING UP WITH A BROTHER WITH DOWNS SHAPED WHO HE IS TODAY. HOW HE BADLY TREATED HIS BROTHER AND THE PAIN THAT CAUSED HIS BROTHER ACTUALLY IS WHAT DRIVES (MOTIVATES) HIM TODAY TO BE A MORE COMPASSIONATE HUMAN BEING

Greatest dream: TO HAVE A FAMILY. STORY GOAL IS TO HELP THE SINGLE MOTHER HEROINE GET BACK ON HER FEET AND FIND A JOB AND A SECURE, SAFE PLACE TO LIVE

Greatest fear: TO LET HIS BROTHER DOWN AGAIN IN THEIR NEWLY DEVELOPING RELATIONSHIP

Where they grew up: NA

Where they live now: REFUGE, ILLINOIS

Family history: MOM TAIWANESE, FATHER CAUCASIAN

Family dynamics now: PARENTS MARRIED. THEY'RE GOING ON WORLD TRAVEL SO BEN'S TAKING IN HIS ADULT DOWN SYNDROME BROTHER

Children? # and background: NEVER HAD KIDS. HEROINE HAS 7 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER

Relationship history: DATED BUT NO ONE SERIOUSLY. NEVER BEEN MARRIED OR ENGAGED

Divorced, Single, Widow, Widower, Estranged (circle one)and why SINGLE BECAUSE HE HASN'T FOUND THE RIGHT GIRL UNTIL HE MEETS HEROINE

Current view on relationships: WANTS A FAMILY AND IS READY TO SETTLE DOWN BUT IS CONFLICTED BECAUSE HE'S NEEDING TO CONCENTRATE ON HIS BROTHER WHO IS IMPORTANT TO HIM

Describe their current relationship with God: STRONG CHRISTIAN, WORSHIP LEADER IN CHURCH

Belief system and struggle: NA. HEROINE HAS THE ISSUE

Faith system and struggle: NA. HEROINE HAS THE ISSUE

Personality type (A, B, Etc. Alpha, Beta, Theta, Etc.): ALPHA MALE WITH BETA UNDERTOWS. IS ROMANTIC AND CREATIVE AS WELL AS A MILITARY ALPHA MALE

Archetype if any (ex. Chief, Bad boy, Charmer, Etc.): NA

Temperament (This can change by the end of the book with C growth.): COMPASSIONATE

One-word adjective to describe C (most noble trait): DETERMINED

How friends/family would describe them: GENEROUS

How they'd describe themselves: LOYAL

Flaw: ASHAMED OF THE WAY HE TREATED HIS DOWN SYNDROME BROTHER GROWING UP. SELF-CONSCIOIUS TO BRING HIS BRO AROUND HEROINE BECAUSE HE'S ASHAMED OF HIS INABILITY TO COMMUNICATE WELL WITH HIS BROTHER

Quirk: HE'S AN ASIAN WHO HATES ASIAN CUISINE

Vehicle they drive/ride/fly: PARACHUTES AND A RED CHEVY MALIBU

Financial status/and how they manage and view money: NA. WISE. SECURE. MANAGES MONEY WELL

Socioeconomic status/ and how they view i:t HE'S INTO USING HIS TIME AND MONEY TO HELP OTHERS. SOCIAL STATUS MEANS ZILCH TO HIM OTHER THAN HE CAN'T STAND TO SEE SOMEONE LEFT OUT AND OFTEN BEFREINDS THOSE LESS FORTUNATE

Ever met hero/heroine prior. If so, how so?: NA. NEVER MET PRIOR TO STORY OPENING

Secondary C most important to main C: FOR BEN, IT'S HUTTON, HIS DOWN SYNDROME BROTHER. FOR AMELIA (HEROINE) IT'S HER DAUGHTER REECE

Story Goal: TO HELP THE HEROINE FIND A JOB BY SUMMER'S END. THIS NEEDS TO BE A MEASURABLE, DEFINABLE GOAL THAT CAN BE REACHED WITHIN THE STORY TIMEFRAME

Motivation: HIS INNATE COMPASSION AND HE FEELS NUDGED BY GOD TO DO SO

Conflict (external/internal/relational/spiritual): NEEDING TO HELP HIS BROTHER COMPETES WITH HIS GOAL OF HELPING THE HEROINE. ALSO HIS CAREER TAKES HIM AWAY AT UNEXPECTED MOMENTS FOR MILITARY AND HUMANITARIAN RESCUES.

Comments: MOST OF THE RELATIONSHIP RETICENCE IN THIS STORY IS ON THE HEROINE'S PART SINCE SHE HAS TRUST ISSUES. SHE DOESN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE HELP ONE ANOTHER WITHOUT AGENDA.
Note: my "what's keeping them apart" is normally the main conflict that drives the book. So I normally put that under "Conflict" if the book is a romance (and all mine are. LOL!).

Definitely three of the most important things you gotta know is what initially brings them together, as well as what keeps shoving them back together time and time again, and what keeps keeping them apart.

In addition, you'll want to know:
How H/h meet: IN A PARKING LOT WHEN HEROINE PASSES OUT AND HER DAUGHTER RUNS TO HERO FOR HELP

What event/situation/plotpoint keeps throwing H/h together during book: HIM SEEING THEY'VE FALLEN ON HARD TIMES AND DETERMINES TO HELP THEM. SHE HAS NO ONE ELSE TO TURN TO AND REFUGE IS A TOWN THAT LIVES UP TO ITS NAME. HE OFFERS HER RIDES AROUND TOWN AND KNOWS SHE DOESN'T HAVE FRIENDS IN THE STRANGE TOWN WHILE HER CAR'S BROKEN DOWN SO HE BEFRIENDS HER AND REACHES OUT TO HER AND HER DAUGHTER CONINUALLY. AND HEROINE CONTINUALLY QUESTIONS HIS MOTIVES BECAUSE HER DAUGHTER'S FATHER NEVER DID ANYTHING FOR HER WITHOUT EXPECTING SOMETHING LEWD IN RETURN

What event/situation/plotpoint/character keeps them apart during book: HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH HIS BROTHER. HER FATHER IS PREJUDICED AGAINST ASIANS AND SHE IS CAUCASIAN. BEN IS ASIAN. HER FATHER THREATENED TO DISOWN HER IF SHE EVER ENTERED AN INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIP. SHE HAS TO TRUST GOD THAT HE WILL WORK OUT HER FATHER'S ISSUES BUT IN THE MEANTIME STRUGGLES WITH CHOOSING A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE HERO OR ONE WITH HER FATHER

The book I've referenced in these Plotstorming (character-driven plotting method from a panster-turned-sorta-plotter) is Ready-Made Family which will be available in April and can be preordered any of these places online:

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Christianbook.com

Also, it releases in stores in April 1, 2009.

NOW...for the best part...maybe...sorta...depending on if you end up liking the book. LOL!

Since I've tortured some of you anti-chart people with this for four posts, I'm making it up to Seekerville by giving away FOUR copies of Ready-Made Family next month here in Seekerville. So stay tuned for that.

Thanks for supporting our blog and our Seeker books with your readership! We are beyond thankful!

Warmly,

Cheryl

48 comments :

  1. Cheryl,

    I came to Seekerville for a lift before I got started this morning. You came through with flying colors!

    This is one of the best methods for characterization I've seen. Thanks for sharing it. I like that it's straight forward and takes the mystery out of some of the traits. It shows nicely how the h/h issues mesh.

    Since today's my birthday (BTW, I'm 29 again this year) I went to Disneyworld and brought back the full spread for breakfast: pancakes with ears, scrambled eggs, bacon, strawberries and more. Chef Mickey even agreed to come by and serve and Goofy is on clean-up duty.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, thank you for coming by! I'm glad you found this info helpful.

    I LOVE DISNEYWORLD!

    In fact, I actually plotted this book beside a pool at a hotel on Disney when our family went there. So I thought it was neat of you to mention it.

    Speaking of breakfast...I'm diving in! YUM!

    Hugs and HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl!

    This is a totally great and wonderful chart.

    I love this.

    It doesn't make me feel 'boxed', it's just informative. Through this chart I see Ben and Amelia, Hutton and Reece.

    Usually charts give me heebie jeebies. You know this.

    BUT...

    Since I saw a Robin Hatcher character 'interview' post years ago, I write up a mini-outline about my characters very similar to this. So even though I 'pants' a book, I have to know the characters first. Otherwise you waste time making stupid mistakes and who has time to waste? Not us.

    Love this! Combined with Missy's GMC (which I use also, but without charting), we have the recipe for great writing right here in Seekerville. You guys rock.

    And I can't wait to read this story. We've all fallen in love with the beautiful house the SH art department put on Cheryl's new cover. If coveting is a sin, then there are a whole bunch of Seekers seeking forgiveness for lusting after that quaint home!

    Go get 'em, Squirl!

    And I can't believe that Mickey's going to be here! Yay! Cathy, what a great idea. Happy, happy birthday to you, girlfriend, and thanks for sharing it with us! We're tickled pink to have another party and I've brought some coconut milk pudding and mango sauce to pass around. (The supply boat from the mainland ran aground, complications of La Nina, I guess, so we had to use Island food. Duck eggs work great for pudding! Who knew????)

    Good job, Cheryl. Clean. Concise. Very workable.

    Ruthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I can read no more. LOL
    I skipped the whole chart so my brain wouldn't fry, but no worries. Also so I can still be surprised when I read the book. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like things, such as your chart, that can be done at any stage. Being a pantser sometimes means gonig in circles! Or, not. That's my feeling.

    Put this together with the GMC from yesterday and I might figure out where I am going!

    Loving the pancakes, Cathy! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, G'mornin' gals and guys! Cowboys and cowgirls!

    We're lookin' to have a rootin' tootin' time at Mickey's round-up!

    I see we're scheduled for breakfast in Seekerville and that's one of my favorite places to visit unless that Connealy woman chases me off with a broom again. I like it so much better when she just goes into a panic attack and lets me run off.

    Better for both of us!!!

    Hey, Minnie, thanks for dropping off the food. You too, Goofy. And glad you didn't drop anything this time!

    Ladies and gentlemen, I may be short in stature but I'll be pleased as punch to wait on you today. I'm at your service. Yup, I am!

    And if I do say so myself, I'm looking pretty spry for an 80 year old MOUSE!!!!

    The wonders of Florida sunshine. Eat those oranges, ladies! I'm living proof that they work wonders!

    And happy birthday, Cathy! Thanks for inviting the crew here!

    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey!

    I'm noticing that Ann suddenly has a picture!!!!

    And looking good!

    We mice have discriminating taste in pretty cowgirls, you know!

    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the birthday wishes.

    Cheryl, I'm always amazed at what we can learn from one another. Hopefully, it's okay to let everyone know that we have a chance to meet Jenn Stark in person. I think she posted at Seekerville on branding not too long ago.

    She's a speaker on branding at a great little conference my Indiana RWA chapter is having March 7 in Indy. Details are here: www.indianarwa.com/conference.htm
    Let me know if you have questions.

    I'd love to meet some of you in person.

    (Not all of you, just some of you. (Oops, Mary's sarcasm must be rubbing off on me).

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl,

    For someone's who having to go back and do something like this because too many of the characters in my draft possess a couple of similar traits, this is a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Cow, Cheryl ... I just got up and I'm ready to go back to bed!! Are you really telling me that only took you ten minutes to fill out??? That would take me the better part of a day. :)

    Seriously, I am very tempted to use your character chart as I can definitely see how valuable it could be. Like you, I am a pantster who thrives on characterization, but after reading your chart, I think my characters may be pretty shallow!! :) Guess I better work on it.

    You definitely got me thinkin', girl ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome, Cheryl. Thanks! I'm creating a skeleton character chart from this immediatley after I click publish your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl, what an excellent example of using a chart to get to know our characters! I'm copying your form, more succinct than most I've seen. Thanks! I can't wait to read Ready-Made Family! The cover is awesome!

    Happy Birthday, Cathy!!! Thanks for the delicious breakfast! And thanks for hauling Mickey from Disney World. I love that little guy. Notice I'm ignoring he's a mouse since I'm rodent phobic. :-)Glad to hear the Florida sun is anti-aging, Mickey. I'll be paying you a visit in early April.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, shucks, Janet's coming by my place in April. Minnie! We better start cleaning up after the boys!

    And Cheryl was inspired while staying on the grounds.

    It certainly lives up to its Magic Kingdom name, doesn't it???? Pomp and parades, fireworks?

    And did I mention princesses? That Jasmine chick sure knows how to wear a sarong. I haven't seen anything that hot since Krakatoa Katie!

    Cathy, LaToya Smith asked me to co-present with her but we've got a lot of reservations at the Mouse House the first weekend of March. Bummer. LaToya's one of my fave people since she and Grand Central offered me a lucrative contract on my coming expose':

    "The Mouse Tells All: An Insider's Look at Eighty Years of Disney"

    Let's just say I got 'very nice' terms.

    And peanut butter/cheese sandwich crackers.

    Life is good in Kissimee.

    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheryl, love the chart. They really do help. AFter reading it I can hardly wait until the book comes out. Sounds great.

    Thanks Cathy for the pancakes and Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with Julie--ready to crawl under the covers and hide! Thank goodness there are no hard and fast rules about how to write. The end product is all that matters!

    On the other hand, tools like these can be a blessing, and you never know how well one will work for you until you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, Cheryl, it's not that I'm ANTI-chart. I'm just lazy.

    I just found, on page about... oh ... 85 that I'd never mentioned what color the heroes eyes are.

    Or did I?

    So I've got to sift through the whole book to make SURE I didn't pick a color and am now changing it. I usually do this by doing Find and Replace on your main eye colors. (Note this happens often enough that I have a systen)

    I've just GOT to do at least some of this. Or at least make the chart and leave it empty then, as I make stuff up, go fill it in. Does he resent his FOUR perfectionist older brothers, or his THREE perfectionist older brothers. Those kind of tiny details can really mess with the rhythm of writing while I'm hunting around to see what I said LAST TIME IT CAME UP.

    Thanks for the chart, Cheryl. I am humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And it always makes me nervous when Mickey stops by. He's so strict about comments. I always hear about it later, if I've left a typo in or used bad grammar.

    Lighten up, Mickey!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cheryl:

    Everything you have here is very useful. However, there is one area where I have the most trouble and which I did not see addressed. Perhaps you have some suggestions.

    What about the character’s voice. What is it about his speech pattern that makes him unique? The most difficult task I’ve found in writing fiction is giving each character his or her own voice.

    Could you come up with a character chart just on the C’s voice?

    Thanks,
    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, Vince, I've got a distinctive voice! Everyone says so!

    Especially ...

    You guessed it...

    Minnie!

    Don't you just love a gal that isn't afraid to wear bright red bows between her ears???

    Mary Connealy! Your feelings about furry brown and gray/brown rodents precedes you, but I know you love ME! Everyone does. And I think I saw you at my big Birthday party not too long ago.

    Thanks for the cheese! Nice touch, using the D-con box to wrap it in.

    Sadist.

    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Cheryl! I'm working on some new characters now and it helps to see one of these character charts filled in. Did you really do this in 10 minutes??? I'm thinking you must have spent hours thinking about your character and it took 10 min of typing time. At least, that's the way it will probably go for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Squirl, you do your post injustice by calling it a chart. I freeze up when I have to do a chart.

    But this isn't one.

    It's a profile. I can deal with profiles. And you ask viable questions of your characters. I like this. I can use this.

    Thanks Squirl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey guys, Cheryl can't post for some reason so she said to tell you she'd be back to comment later tonight!
    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this chart, Cheryl, it's very helpful. I'll be adding some of those points to what I'm using. Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading the book!!! (will you be doing a book signing close to home?)

    I'm with Vince about the voice...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ruthie,
    I'm glad you don't have the heebie jeebies. I've always wondered what a heebie jeebie is. LOL!

    Hugs!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jessica...LOL!

    Thanks for coming by.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ann, aren't the pancakes SO good? And NO caleries!

    OMGOSH!!!!!!! BY GOLLY! MICKY's HERE! IN SEEKERVILLE!

    SOOO COOL!

    Hi Micky! Come back often.

    M-I-C...K-E-Y....EM--OH--YOU--ES-eeeeeee


    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cathy, that's COOL about Jen Stark. Thanks for passing along the info!

    ROFL about wanting to meet SOME of us. Hmmm.....

    LOL!

    Hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  28. Walt, I know what you mean. I didn't figure out I had the same tendency until my editors mentioned that most of my heroes are these Alpha males. But they work. So this might just be part of the strength that you pour into your characters. As long as they're distinct in certain ways, I think many authors have certain similar trademarks in their various lead characters. If this makes sense. I think just as long as every character doesn't end up sounding the same with a different name. LOL!

    Thanks for coming by Seekerville!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing your profile chart, Cheryl. Like someone else said when we put this with Missy's GMC info we'll be well on the way to having our characters nailed (in a good way, of course).

    I missed the breakfast fare, so does anyone have something chocolate to go with my Diet Coke that will help keep me awake to write tonight? My kids are being very possessive of their Valentine candy ... not that I know where that might come from.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Julie...yep. Ten minutes. Mostly because Ben's story is the fifth in a series of 8. And I sort of already knew him from plotting the first few books which featured his teammates.

    So it only took me about ten minutes to figure out. If I were fashioning a character from scratch, I imagine it would take me about an hour to fill one out. That includes "think" time.

    And if I don't have the profile/chart filled out all the way at first, I don't let that hold me back from writing.

    Your characters jump right off the page. Whatever you're doing's working fine for you. Love that Collin!

    Hugs

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  31. Micky,

    You knew my nephew while he worked at Disney. Can't say which characters he was...but he was one of your best buddies.

    He got mobbed by some out of country tourists while in his costume unfortunately and was toppled over. His head fell off, traumatizing some kids and breaking his collarbone. So he had to take a reprieve from his work there. LOL! I shouldn't laugh, really but it was kinda funny. Sad that he got hurt, but the image made me laugh.

    Come back to Seekerville soon!

    Cheryl who loved Disney as much as her children did!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Eileen, I hope it helps you. If not you'll eventually find things that do jive.

    Thank you for coming by!

    Okay...I just brought in a HUGE birthday cake for Cathy. I know it's late but DIG IN and take some home to your families.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  33. Janet...like Julie's, your characters are SO amazing. You don't need my advice. Trust me. Your methods are working well. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your characters. I really care about them.

    I'd LOVE to see inside your brain as to how you make such memorable characters that just tug at heartstrings.

    Hugs

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sandra, I hope you enjoy Ben's story. I loved writing it. And I'm so pleased with the artist's attention to detail...he even got Bearby in there!

    You'll have to read the story to find out who Bearby is. LOL!

    Hugs

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  35. LOL Myra. Trust me, I am ALWAYS changing my methods. And hopefully improving my writing, characters and stories.

    I don't ever want to grow stale. So I love listening to how other authors do things and see what works for everyone.

    Hugs

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  36. Mary,

    Trust me...your books need NO help. LOL! Nor do your characters. I just re read Petticoat Ranch and read for the first time Calico Canyon and Gingham Mountain all in a three day span. I LOVE the scenarios you put your characters in. And I grew to really care about them. You're not lazy...LOLOL! You're a GIFTED writer. Love your action scenes. My fav!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh Gosh...I think I mispelled Mickey's name...Shhh! Don't tell him. He he he.

    Vince, I do love when a character's voice is distinct. But I don't know how to really get that down on the profile/chart.

    For me, it comes through their dialogue. I can "hear" them in my head and just try to emanate that on paper by their word choices, and their inflection and tone and manner of speaking.

    I'd love to know how to capture that on a chart, but that's something that just flows as I write the story. But I do "hear" their voices in my head prior to writing their stories.

    I just hope that what I'm hearing is coming across to the reader. That's the hard part. LOL!

    Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  38. Audra, I LOVE the term profile.

    Thanks for coming by!

    Hi Patricia! Yep...ten minutes. That does include some of the think time. I sort of knew Ben from previous books where he was a secondary character...a teammate to previous main characters. So it was a bit easier to do his profile because of knowing him some from the other stories before his.

    That, I'm sure, helped it to go faster. But even when I don't know a character well, the profile doesn't take that long. What I don't know, I fill in later.

    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  39. Patty, I hope to have signings close this year. LOL! Last year I had he wreck the night before a major signing. Then all the subsequent surgeries and PT which made me have to cancel ALL my booksignings except the Mall of Americal one. SIGH! I'm PRAYING that doesn't happen this year.

    I will probably sign at Eldorado Library, Barnes and Noble in C'dale and a few other places.

    I'll mention it in my newsletter. If you aren't signed up for it, you can do so by going to my Web site and inputting your e-mail address in the newsletter sign up space provided. I respect folks' privacy and do not share those addresses with a third party.

    My newsletter has a double-opt in function, which means you'll have to respond to an automated e-mail from Constant Contact confirming that you wish to join. Once you respond, you'll be added to the list. I probably sent out 3-4 newsletters out a year is all.

    So not a huge influx.

    All event info will be posted on my newsletter.

    Thank you for coming by! I hope to see you in person this year.

    Hugs

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  40. My Web site is

    www.CherylWyatt.com

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wahoo! I can do El Dorado or C'dale! *dancing* I'll get to meet Cheryl! (I praying and believing one or both of those will come through for you!!)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  42. They've both invited me, but I haven't had a chance to schedule it yet. I will do that in the next couple of weeks.

    I'll have the info in my April 1 newsletter as well as other events in the works.

    Hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  43. Happy Birthday, Cathy!

    Cheryl!
    Love your character profile. I'm with Janet...plan to cut and paste so I can put my characters through your chart. Fantastic. Can't wait to read Ready-Made Family! Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Debby, thank you for stopping by!

    Your stories don't need help in my opinion. Nor your characters. But have at the chart anyhow. I read Seeker books and learn from them all the time.

    They're good books to dissect and I leave each one seeing totally why the editor/pub house picked up the book. You ladies rock!

    And I've learned SO much from each of you. And know I will continue to.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  45. Cheryl, I love seeing how someone else does this! Thanks so much for sharing it. I can't wait for the book!!

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks, Missy! I loved your GMC thing yesterday and thought the timing of our posts and Deb's that's up now complemented one another well.

    You are such a good teacher.

    Hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  47. Cheryl,

    I had to sneak back on this morning.

    Cake for breakfast isn't a problem for me. So thanks!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete