Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WHO RAN OFF WITH MY CHEESE?


My yard is undergoing a landscape makeover which requires that the bird and squirrel feeders be removed for the process. One morning a squirrel raced frantically back and forth along top of the wooden fence as if crying: “Who swiped my feeder? Who swiped my feeder?” Change. It disturbs the peace of even the smallest of God’s creatures.

Just in case you haven’t figured it out yet, God is the only unchangeable in our world. He’s the same yesterday, today and forever. And no matter how many people would like to vote him off Earth Island, he’s still in charge. Always has been, always will be.

Other than that, however, change in almost everything else is the norm today. You go to bed with one reality and wake up the next to another. In 2002 a book came out called “Who Moved My Cheese” by Spencer Johnson which addressed this issue in an allegory. Mice scurry through a maze, seeking what makes them happiest—the cheese—only to find out one day that the cheese isn’t where it’s always been. Over and over they futilely keep running back to the same place where they previously found the cheese rather than searching out its new location.

As someone who’s long been a tiny cog in the “corporate world” wheel, I’ve seen the companies I worked for relocated, down-sized, sold, merged, split, reorganized, re-reorganized and re-re-reorganized. Nothing stays the same for long as companies attempt to minimize losses and maximize profits. In this rollercoaster economy, things are even more dicey. That’s the day-job world I’ve lived in for fifteen years, and I’m constantly learning how to roll with the punches, increase my knowledge base, acquire new skills, and reposition myself to be more valuable to my employers so I can keep that day job that pays for the cheese!

Maybe you’re a stay-at-home mom or working outside the home part- or full-time and you want to supplement the family income through writing commercial fiction. Or maybe you’ve already paid your “corporate dues” and are determined to make your writing dreams come true--far from the rat race you washed your hands of. “So what,” you’re asking yourself, ”does this Corporate America talk have to do with me?

Well, hate to break it to you but, like it or not, it’s been my observation that when you get a book published you become a miniscule cog in Corporate America’s big, big wheel. Publishing is a business. BIG business. As much as an editor might like to, they can’t merely pick you out for publication because they like you personally and love your first book. They must believe—really believe—that the market they’re targeting will also love your books (as in plural). They’re taking a huge monetary and professional gamble that you’ll consistently produce stories that will satisfy an increasing number of readers and turn a profit. The bigger the profit the better. Not even Christian publishers are charitable organizations. Both ABA and CBA must keep an eye on the bottom line. They can’t lose money indefinitely and stay in business.

I’ve been reading Romantic Times magazine since the early 1990’s. I have a LOT of back issues, and in reviewing them I see a number of writers who were “names“ a dozen years ago who are still “names” now. But you know what? As I turn the pages of today’s RT Book Club, a disheartening number of the authors whose books once populated the reviews are nowhere to be found. A search of the web finds no mention of them. Or maybe only an isolated reference to a last book published a decade ago. Pretty sobering. Where did they go? Perhaps it was by choice that they’re no longer published--some things are only “right” for you during a season of your life, then God leads you to close the door and move on. Or did someone run off with their cheese--and they never found it? Did they attempt to find it?

So what are some ways we, as “newbies,” can keep an eye on our writing cheese?

- Join writers’ organizations (RWA, ACFW, etc.) to ferret out changing market trends. Take an active interest in the profession. Don’t write in a vacuum.

- Attend writing conferences and workshops for the same reason—often agents and editors speak to anticipated reader trends and what they’re looking for to fulfill that market niche.

- Read writing-related magazines, newsletters, and professional journals, both on-line and paper (Writer’s Digest, RT Book Club, Romance Writer’s Report, etc.).

- Network on-line. Editors occasionally find time in their busy schedules to visit popular writing-related blog sites. (Last month Seekerville hosted Barbara Scott of Abingdon Press, and on Thursday, November 13, Melissa Endlich of Steeple Hill will be our guest.)

- Read current books marketed by the publisher(s) you’re targeting. What might have been considered standard tone, style or content in a genre or line five or ten years ago may now be passé.

- Read outside the genre you’re currently targeting or published in. Broaden your horizons. Maybe you’re writing Mom-Lit, but (after a rough day with a houseful of sick little ones or a harried ride on the subway) you find yourself picking up a LuAnne Rice women’s fiction with a low key New England setting. Keep that in the back of your mind in case the market shifts and you must look for another writing place to call home. Just because you can’t publish/remain published in your current niche, you can still write something you enjoy and which doesn’t compromise your innermost values and beliefs.

- Listen to what your editor says about your publisher’s (and readers’) needs. Is it a need that (within reason), you can fulfill? You’ve never written a novella, but your editor is putting together an anthology? Give it a shot. The line you’ve been writing for tanks? Where does she think you’d fit best in another one? She isn’t thrilled with your latest proposal? Ask for her input, counter-propose, and give her something she can wholeheartedly get behind.

- Don’t be surprised if during your writing career you must reinvent yourself so to speak. Maybe it’s going from one line to another. One genre to another. One house to another. Category to single title or vice versa. First person POV to third. Don’t allow your writing world mindset to become so narrow that your immediate response is always “no way.” Think through it. Pray through it.

- Don’t give in to fear when your cheese gets moved. Take a deeeeeep breath. Be positive. Be proactive. So often it’s not the situation we find ourselves in but how we react to it that causes us the most grief. With the right attitude and some genuine effort, you may find yourself in a much better place than you were before. A framed quote sits on my desk: Don’t fear tomorrow. God is already there. Those are good words for a writer to live by.

As Camy discussed in her Seekerville post last week (Good News and What I Learned From It), being flexible is a MUST if you’re intending to be in this business for the long haul. Publishers are bought out. Merge. Restructure. Go under completely. Editors switch houses. Reader tastes change. Lines fold. One of my friends wrote over 100 category books before taking a well-deserved breather. When asked the key to her success amidst the ups and downs of publishing, she said: “Write every day. Read every day. Never forget this a business. Give your editor what she’s looking for.” Or as Camy so aptly put it: “be willing to be willing.”

Remember the scene in the 1997 movie “My Best Friend’s Wedding” where Jules (Julia Roberts) comments that while Kim (Cameron Diaz) is like crème brûlée, what their mutual “hero,” is really looking for is Jell-O? Kim responds: “I could be Jell-O!” Now THAT determined little lady has the makings of a successful published writer!

So, like the little squirrel racing along the fence in my back yard, panicked because his “cheese” has been moved, there are some things that are out of our personal control. But I have no doubt that after a few days Mr. Squirrel will be checking out the neighborhood and discovering that while my feeder specialized in unshelled sunflower seeds, the one next door has corn. Or peanuts. And while it takes a bit more effort on his part, another yard features shelled sunflower seeds that might tickle his taste buds. It’s my guess the little guy won’t give up looking for a new source of food, and he very well may find something he likes much better than the “cheese” originally within his grasp!

_____

As always, I’m off to my day job and unable to access the internet. But my Seeker buds will make you feel at home in our comment section. So please stop in and chat awhile!

Glynna

29 comments :

  1. Wonderful post, Glenna and so true! This is one reason I write short stories along with my novels - to stay fresh, to offer something new, to always have something out - even if it is only 1 new short and/or novel each year.

    Some authors find shorts a challenge and a joy - that's me. I love detail and description so writing a short is different.

    I also write poems, articles, essays...another way to market myself and keep my name out there.

    Again, GREAT POST!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, WOW, Glynna, what a remarkable post!! Beautifully written, chock full of wisdom and insight -- bravo!

    I concur with everything, although I must admit that the paragraph captioned "Listen to what your editor says" gave my stomach a little twist. I'm afraid I had to learn that little piece of advice the hard way ... uh, and it wasn't a bit of fun!! :)

    Sign me,
    The Sadder But Wiser Girl ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Glynna for all the helpful advice on how to keep track of my writing cheese :) I definitely need to get out of my vacuum that I live in and start learning more about the craft.

    It was also a helpful reminder to us all that the publishing industry is Corporate America and they've got to take care of that bottom line too!

    I love this blog, I find the posts to be very helpful and enlightening. So I want to throw in a Thank You to all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is FANTASTIC!!! I needed this message this morning as it relates to many things in my life right now.

    Thank you so very much Seekers for following God's heart!!

    You guys are the best!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Glynna, this is deep.

    Gotta drink more coffee before I respond! lol……

    Okay, now that I’m awake, I can so relate to this post. Just Sunday night, I sat in church thinking the EXACT same thing, that no matter how frazzled and uncertain life is, God never changes. He’s always there.

    God: stability you can bank on!

    (Hey, that’s a pretty cool tag in today’s banking upheaval! Didn't know I had it in me.)

    And that squirrel! You’re right. He looks very different from our lean little MS squirrels. Good gravy, you’ve been feeding that sucker a lot of “cheese”! No wonder he was upset that he couldn’t find his feeder.

    Pam
    (who’s also pay corporate dues today, thank you very much)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The story reminds of the advice that I keep hearing from pubished authors. I may have a finished manuscript that I'm trying to sell, but I need to have other projects in the works that show I'm thinking long term. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've actually read the book "Who Moved my Cheese" interesting.

    And you shouldn't feed the squirrels' Glynna, it makes the weak.

    But, having said that, it's a great post. I'm going to remember to be proactive. to be willing to search in new directions if I can't find what's always been there. Even my faith, yes, it's solid but we can always find new depths, new ways to understand the Bible and God's leading.

    Very wise post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Insightful post, Glynna! Reminded me of last summer when we'd bring in the empty hummingbird feeder for a cleaning and refill. Then the little hummers would zoom past the window with this look in their tiny eyes that screamed, "Get that feeder back out here pronto, you dorky humans!"

    As for squirrels, I just remarked yesterday that they seem to be running rampant in our neighborhood. I've had to break for them several times. Guess they're on a mission to collect as many nuts as possible before winter sets in.

    Lest anyone think my ramblings have nothing to do with writing ... These examples from nature definitely emphasize the point that we can get so focused on ONE THING that we miss other opportunities or even put ourselves at risk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmygoodness.

    LOVE the picture!!!

    Great post too!

    I started out writing devotionals and poetry for free.

    And I so agree with stuff you've said. Sage advice, my friend!

    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glynna wrote ..."Be positive. Be proactive. So often it’s not the situation we find ourselves in but how we react to it that causes us the most grief. With the right attitude and some genuine effort, you may find yourself in a much better place than you were before. ..."

    That was so good I read it out loud to DH the farmer. All of us could use a shot of that.

    Sometimes I think I'm too old to be starting this new writing gig but have to tell myself my mom didn't take her first college class until she was 47.

    So, self, think positive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...also meant to say that I LOVE the squirrel-and-missing-cheese analogy and how you've tied it all together.

    This industry, even the CBA, is so fickle and we have to be flexible to survive as career novelists.

    Great post, Glynna!

    Seekerville guests:

    I have an various conglomerate of different kinds of crackers as well as a veggie tray and whole wheat rolls with several kinds of sliced cheese over on the table...just for the occasion.

    Sweetened and unsweetened tea in the pitchers as well.

    SO in Seekerville today, at least on the Seeker banquet table, you may certainly run off with the cheese.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started out writing confessions. I've put that aside to focus on novel writing but I stay plugged in. And I'm always on the lookout for another opportunity that dovetails with what I'm currently working on. One never knows.

    Thanks, Glynna.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glynna, you make a good point about how when a door closes, there may be another even better opportunity opening up that you never would have noticed if that door hadn't closed--or that bird feeder hadn't been taken away.

    And congratulations on finaling in The Golden Pen!!! (I only know about it because I finaled, too! How's that for self-promotion?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATULATIONS MELANIE AND GLYNNA!

    There was a third finalist, too. I can't remember who?
    Whoever she is, she'd in great company. We should try to lure her to hang around Seekerville.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glynna, adding my congrats to you and Melanie for the Golden Pen final!

    You go, girls! Yay! Hooray! Doing a Snoopy dance up here in WNY for you guys.

    Wonderful insight in this post, girlfriend. Lovely, lovely. Perfect and poignant.

    Although I don't feed squirrels. And when one chewed his way through my basement screen, and waggled his plump bootie at me from the rafters, I screamed like a girl and ran to Wal-Mart for D-con because squirrels and snakes belong outside.

    Always.

    And I brought cheesecake to go with Cheryl's veggie tray and cheese. Gotta stay in the mode, right?

    And I'll take some of that sweet tea, darling. With lemon, of course.

    Ruthy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Glynna, thanks for the insightful post. Lots of great advice there and it's all appreciated.

    Glynna and Melanie - congrats on the Golden Pen.

    Did anyone else notice that Cheryl's first response to the post was that she loved the pic? That's too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glynna, what a great post!! And so true. Thanks for all the wonderful advice.

    I started out writing novels, but in the meantime, I wrote a short story to try to sell to BelleBooks. That sold, so I got to see publishing success along the even longer journey to selling my first novel. And I've toyed with doing another short story.

    When I have a spare moment. :)

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Melanie and Glynna!!!!!!! Woo hoo!

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for reminding me, Mary. The third Golden Pen finalist was Sue Mason, who does hang out here sometimes! Yay, Sue! We must be gleaning pearls of wisdom here in Seekerville and putting them to good use! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yea for Glynna, Melanie, and Sue!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Glynna! Wonderful, inspiring post!

    I love the insightfulness of this comparison. Our Bible Study went through *Who Moved My Cheese?* and it was embarrassing how familiar the entire change process was. Yes, you've got to be ready for anything and change with the flow.

    I don't know if anyone has ever blown the dust off of a mss you'd begun years ago, thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread, only to realize ugh didn't begin to discribe it : ) I've learned to stream line in this day and age, hook your reader and try to keep them on the line through the entire book. Tough stuff, I might say!

    I agree with the *listen to your editor* advice. They see the changes in the industry up close and personal. When I read books, it's old news style and content compared to what they're looking for today.

    Good, good, post, Glynna. I wish you and your squirrel well : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Glynna and Melanie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats Glynna, Melanie and Sue. Entering contests is what we're all about.

    Loved the post Glynna. But oh my it really hit home. I just returned home today and found three rejections in the mail. I'm thinking I'm running in the same maze looking for the same cheese like that quirky little squirrel. sigh. I was also in a Bible study this morning that just started and its on the life of Abraham and after reading how loooooong he had to wait for his promises I'm thinking yikes. Keep up the faith.

    Julie's post and Audra's story have really put me to thinking. Maybe its time to search around in that maze and for for another path and for some other delicious cheese treats.

    And you are right Glynna. God is in charge, so I don't really get too upset about rejections. I'll just console myself with that cheese spread Cheryl offered. smile

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Glynna, Melanie and Sue. Entering contests is what we're all about.

    Loved the post Glynna. But oh my it really hit home. I just returned home today and found three rejections in the mail. I'm thinking I'm running in the same maze looking for the same cheese like that quirky little squirrel. sigh. I was also in a Bible study this morning that just started and its on the life of Abraham and after reading how loooooong he had to wait for his promises I'm thinking yikes. Keep up the faith.

    Julie's post and Audra's story have really put me to thinking. Maybe its time to search around in that maze and search for another path and for some other delicious cheese treats.

    And you are right Glynna. God is in charge, so I don't really get too upset about rejections. I'll just console myself with that cheese spread Cheryl offered. smile

    ReplyDelete
  25. OOOOOOPS Don't ask me how I did that????

    ReplyDelete
  26. So what happened to the pictures of ourselves with the new blogger.

    Great post, Glynna and good advice. Great squirrel too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. WHOA, BABY, SUPER CONGRATS TO GLYNNA, MELANIE AND SUE FOR FINALING IN THE GOLDEN PEN -- SUPER COOL!!

    HUGS,
    JULIE

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glynna, thanks for the awesome post! What you said is so true, not only of writing, but of everything in this life. Change is inevitable. Better to celebrate it, then fight it. Thanks for the great suggestions and subtle reminder that our unchanging God is in control.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete