Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Harlequin American Author, Marin Thomas Visits Seekerville


Dear Seekers…

I want to thank Tina for inviting me to share my Call story and discuss the Harlequin American Romance line with you. Tina was one of my first critique partner's before I became a published author. Tina, how long ago was that--twelve-thirteen years? Time flies. Lives change. People move. But memories live on and I have many fond memories of my Colorado critique group. Not until I sat in Tina's dining room with a small group of aspiring writers did I finally admit to myself that my writing wasn't just a hobby and that I really, really, really wanted to become a published author one day.


Okay, so here's my Call story--are you sitting somewhere comfortable? Need a refill on your coffee? Grab it now because this may get long-winded! I had written a manuscript (re-titled, The Cowboy and the Bride, June 2004) and had sent it off to the Desire line--just goes to show you that not all writers understand their voice or where it's best suited J.


The editor at Desire rejected the manuscript, but made some nice comments about my writing and encouraged me to send it to the American Romance line where she believed my voice fit better. I remember thinking to myself…Voice? What's she talking about? And American Romance line??? What was that? I couldn't remember if I'd ever read an American Romance.


I did as the Desire editor suggested and sent the manuscript to Harlequin. The only explanation I can come up with for the events that followed is that I may not have explained the situation with the Desire editor correctly in my cover letter, because less than a week after returning from the post office, I received a form rejection letter from the editor stating the manuscript wasn't right for the Desire line--well, I knew that! Assuming a miscommunication had taken place I decided to call the editor. My timing stunk to say the least--I phoned her at approximately 9:00 A.M. on September 11, 2001.


I had only given the editor my name and the name of the manuscript before the first Trade Tower had been hit and chaos broke out in the Harlequin offices. The phone call ended quickly and I'd decided to wait a month if need be before phoning again. But that plan was dashed when I received a second rejection from the same editor two weeks later--this one educating me on the "definition" of a rejection letter. I broke down and cried. I thought for sure I'd been blacklisted at Harlequin and I'd never be able to submit another manuscript to them.


After a short pity party I went on the hunt for an agent--most wouldn't touch the manuscript after it had been rejected twice--even after I explained the whole fiasco. Fortunately Paige Wheeler of Folio Literary Management liked challenges and took me on. She made a few calls and shortly after, the manuscript was read by Paula Eykelhof who headed the American line at that time. I received a request for revisions and a few months later Paige phoned to tell me that the American line wanted to buy my book. This all took place over a year's time. But wait!! My excitement was short-lived. Not long after receiving a release date my editor informed me that Harlequin wasn't sure they would continue the American line, so they'd put a freeze on buying future books. I thought great, I just sold and it was a fluke! Thankfully Harlequin decided to keep the line and I've been fortunate to sell more books to them.


I love the American Romance line. Senior Editor Kathleen Scheibling, Associate Editor Johanna Raisanen and Editorial Assistant Laura Barth are terrific ladies and a pleasure to work with. And they're always searching for new talent to add to the line. The sensuality level varies from book to book. Fleshed out sex scenes, to author's closing the bedroom door on the couple. It's really what the author is comfortable with.


Many of the American books are set out west--cowboys remain a reader favorite with this line. My April 2009 book, A Cowboy's Promise is part of their new Men Made in America series, which launches January 2009.


Did you know that July 28th is National Day of the American Cowboy?


"Whereas pioneering men and women, recognized as cowboys, helped establish the American West...that cowboy spirit continues to infuse the nation with its solid character, sound family values, and good common sense; Whereas the cowboy embodies honesty, integrity, courage, compassion, respect, a strong work ethic, and patriotism."

Although the western theme is popular you'll still find diversity in the four books released in the series each month--this is one of the reasons I love writing for the line. Kathleen Scheibling has allowed me to explore some non-traditional settings in my romances--my Hearts of Appalachia series revolved around a Scotch-Irish clan in Heather's Hollow--a fictitious community in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky. I was thrilled when the first book in the series, For the Children won Honorable Mention in the romance category of the 2008 Hollywood Book Festival competition, this was big news for a series romance.


From my McKade Brothers series, Aaron Under Construction took place in a Hispanic Barrio of Los Angeles. Ryan's Renovation took place in the New York City borough of Queens. And this month's release, The Cowboy and the Angel, takes place in Detroit.


One thing I'll add about my writing is that sometimes I'm inspired to write a story that has more depth than the traditional romance. There's usually a social message buried in the story that for whatever reason I felt a need to convey to my readers. The hearts of Appalachia series was inspired by my great aunt who grew up in the hills of Tennessee. Her stories of living in the "woods" left an impression on me and a desire to bring awareness to this unique but often forgotten group of Americans. I tried to provide a glimpse into the Appalachian culture and some of the real struggles they face today in the areas of education, healthcare, land management--logging, increase in illegal drug trade (growing marijuana in the mountains), and moonshining. The Appalachian culture is slowly disappearing as the old ways struggle to survive alongside modern technology. I did a ton of research for this series and hope in the end that I was able to enlighten readers and bring about a better understanding and appreciation for this very unique area of our country whose traditions and culture date back hundreds of years.



My current release, The Cowboy and the Angel (Nov 08) takes an in depth look at the complexities of social work in large cities. I hope that this story brings a greater awareness to the plight of runaways and children who fall through the cracks of our foster care systems. In the end my greatest wish is that the book inspires readers to give back to their communities in ways that directly help children. Each year my kids bring home a couple of "Angels" from the school Christmas tree and we buy gifts for teenagers who might not otherwise receive a present. And we're contributors to our local food bank--little things can make a big difference in the lives of needy children.


Speaking of communities…If you're targeting the American line keep in mind that a sense of community is important and often showcases the secondary characters who often play a prominent role in the hero and heroine's lives. I have a soft spot for the elderly and often create quirky and eccentric old toots to add humor to my stories--like Granny from my Hearts of Appalachia books. Always remember to keep the primary romance central--my editor reined me in after reading In a Soldier's Arms (Feb 08) because the heroine's relationship with her grandmother (Granny) was extremely strong and I had to go back into the manuscript and beef up the hero and heroine's romance.


At www.eharlequin.com you'll find these guidelines to writing an American Romance:

"American Romance features fast-paced, heartwarming stories about the pursuit of love, marriage and family in America today. We're looking for energetic writing and well-constructed plots based on contemporary, credible, appealing characters."

"We're open to a range of tones and story types, from comedy to drama. Popular themes and story elements are welcome. Level of sensuality varies. Above all, it's important that these stories have a sense of adventure, optimism and a lively spirit—they're all the best of what it means to be American!"


The heroes and heroines in American Romance books struggle with the kinds of real-life issues many of us contend with on a day-to-day basis. In a nutshell a Harlequin American Romance reminds us of what's really important in the grande scheme of life--family, friends and love. And this is all accomplished in 55-60,000 words. I do a lot of cutting and tightening during the revision stage and most of my books come in under 55,000 words.


Whew! Am I a blabber mouth or what? I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about writing for the American line or just writing in general or maybe you have a questions about what Tina was like all those years ago .


Thanks again for having me today!

P.S. Just for fun….the name Marin is pronounced "Mer-in"--like Marin County in northern California. Depending on what area of the country you're from some people pronounce it Marr-in, or Mair-in. No worries though, I answer to all three names

Marin Thomas hails from Janesville, Wisconsin. She played basketball for the University of Arizona Lady Wildcats at Tucson, where she obtained a BA in radio-television--which she has done nothing with all these years. Upon graduation, she married her college sweetheart in a five-minute ceremony in Las Vegas. Her husband's career in public relations has taken the family to Arizona, California, New Jersey, Colorado, Texas and Chicago, where she now calls the Windy City home.

Marin's current release, The Cowboy and the Angel, earned 4 ½ stars and a Top Pick from Romantic Times. The book is the first in a series about the Cartwright Siblings of Oklahoma--A Cowboy's Promise (April 2009) and Samantha's Cowboy (August 2009)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for being with us in Seekerville, Marin. Marin has kindly offered to give away two copies of her latest release, The Cowboy and the Angel to two Seekerville posters!!!

58 comments :

  1. Marin,

    Thanks for letting us know about what "the call" was like for you.

    I'd like to know how you and Tina became crit partners way back when, what your crit arrangements were (how often, did you meet in person, how many pages) and your recommendations for critiquing. Do crit partners still have a role, although you're published?

    Also, exactly how do you research such diverse places and lifestyles/occupations?

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking "Merin," as in Braveheart's wife. Glad I was close.

    Your story was great. As someone (still unpublished but very hopeful) who's been told he's done a few things wrong, it's nice to hear that it can work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, Marin.

    Good luck and God's Blessings!

    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, I can't believe you all beat me to Seekerville. Welcome early risers. Coffee and cowboy biscuits on the sidebar.

    Welcome to Marin.

    I was just thinking about that critique group. Terry Clark was with us for a while and she just sold a terrific YA. But I will let Marin answer the details..mostly because, um, I am fuzzy on the details, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy

    I hooked up with Tina through the RWA group in Denver. I think we met every other week--Tina might remember--for a couple of hours. We'd bring in a chapter or scene and everyone would write comments down etc. Our group was very "positive" very "Kind" in their remarks...yet very helpful, too.

    In the early stages of my writing, critique partners were invaluable. I think Kate in our group was the grammar queen and Tina had a knack for pointing things out about characters...each person brought something different to the group.

    I critique with one person now--we've been reading each others work for over 8 years. She writes in a different genre than I do. We look for the bigger "stuff" in our chapters...characterization, plot holes, not so much the small details.

    I do most of my research over the internet. I have made calls to people in the past to ask "what's it like" questions. My husband travels to Detroit for the annual Detroit car show and he's been great bringing me brochures and information that I used in The Cowboy and the Angel.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Men in America series sounds really cool. Do you know anything else about what is coming out from that series?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walt

    Never lose heart. I just shake my head sometimes when I hear "Call" stories and the writer says she/he's been writng for one year or two years and they sold their first book. It amazes me. I had four completed manuscripts by the time I sold to HQ and the first book I sold was actually a small press book that Tina's group critiqued, Chance of a Lifetime about a female pig farmer--HQ rejected it because they said the heroine's occupation was unrealistic....but I put a pig herder in another story (Nelson in Command) :-)

    And Walt, you might be interested to know that one of my very first fans who picked up The Cowboy and the Bride way back in 2004 and e-mailed me was Henry Knight who lived in Canada. He made sure I knew wht he liked and didn't like about each of my books. He passed away last summer and I dearly miss his honest feedback.

    I have another male fan, a retired airforce pilot in Ohio that loves reading the American Romace line.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did anyone start the coffee? I'll put the kettle on.

    Isn't it funny to look back and see how it all fit together in spite of missed calls and miscommunications. That's inspiring right there.

    Your crit group sounds like a great help.

    Another incentive to comment today -- my WV is "apeless."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tina

    Each month the series highlights a different profession. Tina Leonard kicks it off in January with a Texas Ranger. Michele Dunaway is doing the CEO. I think Linda Warren is doing a Sheriff. I've got the Cowboy. (Can you tell readers love cowboys) I'm sure there will be a Doctor. Supposedly only the heros will be on the covers of these books.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome, Marin, SO great to have you with us in Seekerville today! Love the post (and, no, you are NOT a "blabber mouth" and your post is NOT too long ... uh, but then I write almost 500-page books, so what do I know??? :))

    The Men Made in America series sounds like something I would love! And congrats on the Honorable Mention for All the Children. I really like the idea that your books carry a message as well as great romance.

    And I had to laugh at your statement regarding agents that "most wouldn't touch the manuscript after it had been rejected twice." I can still hear the desperation in the e-mail of my agent Natasha Kern when she realized AFTER she signed me that A Passion Most Pure had already been rejected 39 times. I think the word she used was "daunting." :)

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie

    loved your note about Natasha...that just shows how determined she was to sell your book. I'm sure taking on what she probably thought was going to be an impossible sell made her a better agent.

    I need to disappear for a short while..taking care of the neighbor's dog today while she's at the hospital with her daughter. And it's time for the pooch to have breakfast :-)

    Be back soon!
    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marin,
    Thanks for sharing your 'call.' Oh man. I love love love your stories, the characters that fill your novels. They're real and always touch my heart. Yes, The Cowboy and the Angel is definitly on my 'to buy' list!

    My sincere best to you on a continued fabulous career. Enjoy your holidays!

    Diana Cosby
    www.dianacosby.com
    His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
    His Woman/December 08/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marin,
    *Blush* I forgot to add, great seeing you at Seekerville. The women here are so nice!

    Diana Cosby
    www.dianacosby.com
    His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
    His Woman/December 08/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Diana

    Thanks for stopping by and for the nice words about my characters!

    Often the characters I start out writing about change quite a bit by the final revision of the book. Sometimes I feel like I have to write the story first to really see who my characters are and then go back through the pages and add details and tiny touches that hopefully make them realistic and sympathetic. And you should know a good character when you read one because your heroes are some of the best I've read in historical romance!

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh! Never thought 9/11 would have publishing memories attached. I bet that was upsetting!

    Thanks for sharing a terrific story!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Marin! Thanks for being in Seekerville today! Loved your call story! Talk about bad timing. You have your own 9/11 story. But it all worked out the way it was supposed to.

    So if you have an agent, do you always get the call from your agent? I always sort of imagined getting the call from the editor. Not that it matters! I'll be screaming either way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marin Thomas said...

    Often the characters I start out writing about change quite a bit by the final revision of the book.

    ~Really? Wow, that's amazing.

    And you should know a good character when you read one because your heroes are some of the best I've read in historical romance!

    ~*Blush* Okay, now I'm totally humbled. Thank you very much, I'm thrilled that you enjoy the MacGruder brother's stories.

    Diana Cosby
    www.dianacosby.com
    His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
    His Woman/December 08/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marin,

    Loved your call story. Thankfully you believed in your story enough not to give up on it. *G*

    HAR's are my favorite. I love how the secondary characters add a special flavor to each story. I've got a 'full' in with Kathleen right now and I'm hoping to have a call story to share one of these days. *VBG*

    Thanks for sharing your story. It was very inspiring. Looking forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Melanie

    During my career I've had both a call from my agent and a call/e-mail from an editor when they've approve a new contract. Most of the time my editor or I cc my agent and my agent always cc's me whenever she talks to my editor.

    It's best that everyone stays in the loop and on the same page. Some editors prefer to deal directly with the author and that makes the agent's job a little tougher, other editors prefer to go straight to the agent with major decisions--just depends.

    And when an editor leaves HQ and the author gets a new editor...everyone starts over adjusting to how each does business--keeps things lively :-)

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jennifer

    Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoy the Americna line so much.

    I too hope you have a call story to share soon--sending good thoughts your way! I know Kathleen is always on the lookout for new voices and fresh story ideas for the line.

    And don't be discouraged by wait times in this business--think of it as a rights of passage kind of thing. We've all been through it!

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Marin. Welcome to Seekerville.

    Great post. You being on the phone to NY right when the Trade Center was attacked gave me chills.

    I like what you said about your characters taking a while to coalesce. Mine do that, too.

    I very often am 100 words into a story when it finally gels and I really decide who my characters are, especially the hero it seems like. Maybe my books are centered on the heroine enough that she's more fully realized when I start.

    I always feel like I should do more work before the book starts so I 'know' my characters, but if you do it this way, too, then it's okay. :)

    My books are mostly inhabited with cowboys so I especially like your themes...and great cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, thanks for sharing your story. How inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Marin, let me add my welcome to Seekerville. Very informative post, and thanks for the details about the American Romance Line.

    And Mary, I wish my stories and characters would gel after ONLY 100 words!!! How DO you do it???

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think Mary meant 110 PAGES not WORDS. Huh, Mare?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mary

    When I first began writing I was the "chart queen" :-) I used charts, lists, cheat sheets and spent hours jotting down character details. Now I figure out the GMC, hair color, eye clor, height and I'm good to go. As I write the story and add things unique to my characters I jot them down on the back of my synopsis as well as each secondary character's name, a business name, little details that crop up as I write the story.

    I'm a post-it freak, too. When I'm doing a final read through of the book and things pop into my mind, I scribble them down on a post-it note and slap it on my desk. Then after the final read through I go back and do a final final read through and make sure all the post-it notes are addressed.

    Probably not the most well-organized method but the less structure/rules I pay attention to the more freely my writing flows.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Myra, Lynn, Pamela, Ann, Kim

    Thanks for the well wishes,ladies, and for dropping by!

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing your call story with us and reminding us to keep going forward.

    The book sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL, Marin, all these years I've been pronouncing your name in my head as "Mairin." Watching Men in Trees didn't help. That Marin was pronounced as Mairin.

    Wow, what an amazing call story you have. How horrible that you were on the phone with someone from New York when the first plane hit. I myself was watching a baby being born. That irony still gets me, every year on my great-niece's birthday.

    I really admire your perseverance. That your agent took you on under such circumstances really says something about her belief in your work. I'm so glad you sold to HAR!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi vicki--thanks for stopping.

    Everyone has their unique path to publication and it's tough sometimes not to compare your journey with others, but it will happen when it's meant to happen.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Cindy

    I think I remember you mentioning your niece was born on 9/11. It is amazing how good and bad things happen at the same time in this world.

    The name Marin came about when I was pregnant with my daughter and my father-in-law was in Vegas on a business trip and asked the waitress in the casino for a list of "girls" names. The waitress and her friends compiled the list and Marin was one of the names which everyone in the family liked.

    It means "Of the sea" and hubby and I thought that was neat since our daughtr was born in the Bay Area of San Francisco--Walnut Creek. Interestingly enough my daughter "adores" everything about California except she's not a big fan of swimming. Some "Of the sea" kid she turned out to be :-)

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I, too, laughed at the comment about the agent freaking out when your story was rejected TWICE. And to think that they say just keep submitting it. That agent must not have ever heard that, eh? hehe No offense to that agent.

    Plus, when you said that you finally sold your story and then Harlequin wasn't sure they were going to keep that line, talk about the ups and downs of writing. Sheesh.

    I can't imagine being on the phone with Harlequin when the first tower was hit. Makes me shudder thinking about it.

    I also found it interesting the editor at Desire suggested that you should submit to American Romance line because your 'voice' fit their line. That's something we all need to keep in mind. Thanks for the reminder.

    Have a great day!

    And...

    Write on!

    Debra Ullrick
    The Bride Wore Coveralls
    Déjà vu Bride
    Dixie Hearts
    www.DebraUllrick.com
    christianromancewriter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Okay, I'm confused.

    It's okay to submit to agents and editors at the same time, right?

    I just had a newbie writer say you should wait until you have exhausted all avenues to get an agent before submitting to editors. She said an editor won't take you if you've submitted a work all around on your own.

    I want to send to both editors and agents at the same time. Isn't that what you normally do?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Marin,

    I have read (and LOVED!) your books. You're on my auto-buy list. I was so excited to learn that Tina invited you here to spend the day with us.

    Your call story was great! How freaky that you were on the phone with the editor when the plane hit the first tower. I imagine it was chaos. I can't believe they got back to you so quickly in response after that. It shows their dedication to their jobs.

    Thanks for sharing more about the Harlequin American line with us. I love cowboy stories. And I love that you have a soft spot for the elderly.

    You must have figured out the "voice" thing...becuase your books are great.

    Thanks for coming to Seekerville. And Tina...YOU ROCK for bringing her here.

    Hugs,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Debra

    My editor and others at Harlequin have always said that if a manuscript comes across their desk that catches their interest or that they see potential in but believe it's targeted to the wrong line, they'll shoot that manuscript off to an editor at the line they think it fits best.

    Editors work for the entire company and they don't want to lose a good book if they can help it.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, we are out of food..good thing I checked. More coffee, biscuits and cheddar grits. Also set out a pan of cinnamon rolls.

    Marin, tell us a little about your writing schedule. How do you fit in all in with a family?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Cathy

    When I first began submitting my book I did so without an agent. I hadn't intended to get an agent right away but then the 9/11 thing happened and I thought I needed someone to straighten out the confusion.

    Many times writers will get the call from an editor then wait to go to contract until they get an agent.

    Everytime someone says there's a rule...do it this way...do it that way...the rule ends up getting broken :-)

    When you do submit to an agent it's best to let them know where you've sent the manuscript or which editor requested it.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Cathy s...I don't know what the 'rules' are but I subbed to editors for a long time before I started trying agents.

    Harlequin does have a 'no simultaneous submissions' rule, though. So if you sub to them, you need to wait until it works it's way through to REJECTIONVILLE before subbing somewhere else.

    I think with other houses and agents it's correct to inform them, in your cover letter, that this is a simultaneous sumission.

    The reason to search for an agent is that so many doors are closed to you without one. There are few publishers left who will accept unagented submissions. Harlequin and Barbour being the main ones. But there are a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Cheryl

    Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words about my writing. I'm so glad you enjoy my stories.

    I love old people--I think because when you reach age 70 and above you've earned the right to act how you want, to be sassy, grumpy, to boss people around and pretty much create havoc in the family :-)

    My grandpa Bud was a "character" He introduced my brother and I to all the local Taverns around southern Wisconsin. He used to have his own band when he was in his twenties and every tavern we walked into someone knew him.

    I've also got a great aunt who takes her teeth out and sets them on the table by her plate before she eats :-)

    And another great aunt who showed up at my cousins high school graduation picnic in a two-piece bikini.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Marin,

    OMG...truth IS stranger than fiction. LOL!

    Sounds like your family makes great story fodder though. Those scenarios would make for great ancillary characters. LOL!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  40. Tina

    Everyday is a bit different, but I do the bulk of my writing in the morning after the kids leave for school. This year my son took a study hall last hour so he's home an hour earlier than the daughter and that interrupts me a bit, but I muddle along to the loud music and phone calls.

    If I've got a deadline looming, which I have right now--my Aug 09 book is due in by the end of the month, then I will write all weekend long if need be.

    I am not a night person and burning the midnight oil means 10:00 p.m. I'm up at 5:30 everyday with the kids so I'm useless after about eight at night.

    I try to write a scene a day on my current wip but those are rough pages. I'm learning to write 2 chapters a week but again they're a lot rougher than one chapter a week schdule I prefer.

    Hubby also telecommuntes one to two days a week and I haven't yet gotten used to having someone else in the house while I write. I like it quiet--no music, no TV just my space heater blowing on my feet under the desk. Hubby likes the TV on all the time :-)

    Some days are more productive than others, that's for sure.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great blog, Marin, thanks for sharing. I love your cowboys. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  42. That smacks of balance Marin. But also inspiring that you write two chapters a week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Nancy

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Glad you like my cowboys...I did an interview recently at www.harauthors.blogspot.com
    and they asked if I was stranded on a deserted Island what kind of hero would I want with me--I said a cowboy, because the only way he knows how to get off the island is by horseback, which means we'll be stranded together for a long, long time :-)

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Marin,

    Nice to read your post. I love your books. Don't forget your Texas friends.

    Carolyn S.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Carolyn

    Thanks for popping in! I appreciate your support and kind words about my books.

    I promise I won't forget all my Texas friends. That's been one of the plus's about moving around with hubby's job--I've gotten to make writing friends everywhere we've lived.

    And I still think Texas cowboys are the best. When I took the kids down to visit my mother in San Antonio many years ago (we lived in Dallas at the time) I got lost (what's new) and had to turn around--well it had rained hard the day before and the place I picked to turn around wasn't blacktop but mud. You guessed it--I got stuck. A big ol' Texas-sized pickup with two cowboys inside, pulled my truck back on the road for me. I still remember one of them saying, "Just sit tight, we'll take care of you ma'am."

    gotta love the way they say "ma'am" down there :-)

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love westerns and it was interesting to hear your story. Sure the post looks long but I've got some pretty hefty blog posts myself and they're just reviews.

    And I like long when its good reading anyway it makes it last longer.

    Melissa
    forest_rose[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Melissa

    Thanks for stopping by. Glad you understand about long posts--so you're a reviewer...I think if I wasn't a writer I would love to be a reviewer. But I would probably struggle writing the review if I didn't like the book.

    Marin
    www.marinhomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. I enjoyed reading this blog. I am a reader not a writer. Please enter me into the drawing.

    b{dot}werts{at}sbcglobal{dot}net

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hey Marin - Your post is fascinating - especially since I've only written 1 secular book and it's targeted at the American Romance line. (As opposed to 4 inspirationals.)

    Mine is also a western theme with my cowboy and his baby living on a remote ranch in Montana.

    A good portion of my TBR pile is made up of HAR's and I think that sense of home and community is a big reason why.

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Bev

    Thanks for stopping by, glad oyu enjoyed the discussion today.

    Hi Anita Mae

    you summed it up when you said home and community are a big part of HAR's. And who can resist a cowboy and a baby--two great hooks used by the line.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Marin!

    Love your books! Reading the new one now on my Kindle. :) I am trying my hand at a HAR because I grew up in that kind of community and I have some HAR writer friends at my RWA chapter who have strongly encouraged me to give it a try. I wondered your thoughts on whether babies and children really need to be in most HAR books. I don't have any in real life and only write about secondary characters' children. Think that's a problem? Also, my previous mss have been single title with a lot more characters. Do you allow a full range of secondary characters in your books so you can write about them later if allowed, or only if the editor is giving you a contract for a series? Just wondering your take on how you handle these things.

    Thanks for a great post about The Call! :)

    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  52. I Kitty

    Glad you stopped by!

    Neither the hero nor the heroine has to have a child in an HAR but usually there are kids/teens/babies somewhere in the story...so you should be fine using them as secondary characters or part of the community.

    Good questions about secondary characters. Be careful not to have too, too many secondary characters because they'll be difficult to keep track of for the reader. Because it's a romance you have to keep the focus on the H&H so there isn't a whole lot of room for subplots that involve secondary characters like in ST's.

    Readers like series, so definitely add a character or two into your story that could have their own story down the road if you sell the book.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Ladies

    My witching hour approaches! I want to say "Thank you" to all who stopped by today and left a comment--this has been a wonderful, fun experience.

    Tina, you and your posse are the best--Seekerville rocks!

    I want to give one more plug here...please don't forget the needy children in your communities this holiday season...donate a coat, a pair of mittens, a bag of food, or drop a quarter into the next Salvation Army kettle you pass by--every little bit helps.

    As a reader said in an e-mail to me...a kind smile or a helping hand has more value than a real gift!

    Best wishes to all for a safe and blessed Thanksgiving.

    Marin
    www.marinthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks Marin!!! It was wonderful to have you here and thanks for answering all our questions.

    We wish you continued success.

    Today's winners are Walt Mussell and
    Vicki Lane. Please contact me at tina@tinarusso.com with your real world address. Don't post it here!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Kitty,

    Tell me why you like the Kindle.
    I read on my iTouch when I HAVE to but what is it you like about Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Sorry to be a day late! I was hardly home yesterday.

    Marin, thanks so much for being with us in Seekerville! I loved your call story. So amazing. And what an achievement to overcome those obstacles!

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thank you so much, I can't wait to read this book! :)

    ReplyDelete