Thursday, March 26, 2009

Setting

I’ve always enjoyed historical romances and historical fiction beginning with my favorite, Gone with the Wind. I loved it because of the characters, the plot and the setting—the south just before, during and after the Civil War (Just in case someone doesn’t know!). As a New Englander, I wasn’t familiar with extreme humidity, red clay and live oaks dripping with Spanish moss. Sometimes I feel like I’m old enough (and tired enough) to have lived back in the 1860s, but actually I’m not. But when I read Margaret Mitchell’s book, I felt as if I’d been there right in the middle of the action with Scarlett and Rhett—and the war. I’d worn hoop skirts with flounces and corsets that sucked in my waist to 18 inches. Now there’s fantasy for you!

Because I love reading historicals, I decided to write them, as well. And I chose a time frame and location I love—Newport, Rhode Island in the Gay Nineties, the Gilded Age. The multi-millionaires who populated the town during the summer season were high energy, self-indulgent people, but what really fascinated me was the backdrop in which they played out their lives. Society was their stage. All the aspirations of the women were reduced to social climbing and social acceptance (in an opulent setting) because that was the only goal possible for their time and for their class. Culture and economic situation are such important aspects of setting.

Physical backdrop--flora and fauna, climate, topography etc--are often what we think about first—but that’s only part of it. Setting also includes the social attitudes of the time along with the historical background. All these factors should fit together perfectly. Can you imagine Pride and Prejudice set in modern day India or the wild west? Setting is far more than just the framework in which is story is being told.

So choose your setting with care because it defines and limits your story’s possibilities. It creates the mood and ambiance and can dictate the writing style. For example, Jane Austen’s style wouldn’t fit in with a hard-boiled detective novel.

Reader involvement, plot or suspense, character and theme may all link to setting.

Settings in romance novels are especially important because readers enjoy escaping their ordinary lives and like the reassurance that life can be beautiful and romantic. Dreams can indeed come true. Many romances take place in settings that are far away, exotic or out of the ordinary. At different times, Caribbean islands, European kingdoms, Latin America, and the southwest, especially Texas, have become popular locations. If you want to set your romance in a big city garbage dump, some readers would turn up their noses, so to speak, at that location. They would expect a dump with its sights and smells to produce a satisfying romance and it wouldn’t happen.

An abundance of concrete detail shows the reader a lifestyle/location far from our everyday lives. Escape is appealing. These stories often have loose plot structures. The author usually has time to dwell on description and detail. The style is heavily ornamented and sensuous—some books more so than others. Physical detail can help create a romantic mood and ambiance. This contributes to the reader’s emotional response. The characters shouldn’t be under too much immediate plot pressure which might compete with the romance. This is important to me since I love to develop intricate plots.

But (you might ask):

What about romantic suspense novels? Some are more romantic than suspenseful and vice versa. Yet these novels require elements of both. Physical details in a RS are shown more briefly than in a straight romance because the reader is interested in a pressure-packed plot. There’s not as much time to explore lush descriptions or even the characters’ feelings. The style is often crisp and understated. Yet the romance has to be included or the reader will be disappointed.

So, I’m asking writers of romantic suspense: how do you combine them to create a fast moving, yet romantic novel? As Ruthy would say, curious minds want to know.

P.S. If this blog entry seems a trifle disorganized, it’s because I wrote most of it yesterday, Wednesday, the day I was notified I’m a GOLDEN HEART FINALIST in the inspirational category for my manuscript Love on a Dime!!!!!!

I’m so excited I still can’t focus on anything else. After the call at 7:30, I ran around the house screaming like a lunatic. Then I received another call from Terri, the lady who’d just phoned with the good news. I saw her number and I was afraid to answer the phone. What if she was calling back to say she’d made a terrible mistake and I wasn’t really a finalist? They wouldn’t really do that, would they? Fortunately, all she wanted to know was which name I wanted to go by—Cara or Carolyn.

So all day I basked in the glow of the Golden Heart contest. Despite a miserable cold and cough, I grinned and grinned and grinned. I’m still smiling.

34 comments :

  1. Congratulations, Cara, on the Golden Heart final!! Well-deserved!! And your informative post was even quite coherent!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cara, Congrats on your wonderful notice. How exciting.

    And the post was great.

    To celebrate, I'm bringing some sparkling apple and pear cider. The bottle looks like champagne so we can toast with the fruit juice this early in the morning. smile

    And some cheese blintzs topped with blueberries and whipped cream. Now that's a celebratory item to nibble on in the excitement of toasting a GH FINALIST. HOORAY Here's to Cara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara, I'm always surprised when someone tells me they've never read or don't like historicals. I can't imagine that because it's my favorite genre to read and to write! You've made excellent points on setting. A good reminder that details enrich the story and anchor the reader.

    I've visited Newport and was astonished by the opulence of those "cottages." Imagine a time before income taxes!!!

    We're all so proud and overjoyed here in Seekerville that you're a Golden Heart finalist!!!! Can't wait to cheer you on in D.C.!!!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on Golden Heart! That's awesome!!!

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER CONGRATS, CARA, ON YOUR GH FINAL!!!!

    And, wow, I have to tell you that your setting of Newport, Rhode Island in the Gay Nineties or the Gilded Age realllllly draws me in!! Is that the setting for "Love on a Dime"?

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the congrats, ladies! I'm really still overwhelmed.

    Both my historicals are set in Newport. I practically grew up there. My mother is from Newport--she was a 12th generation Rhode Islander. I love the place and have great childhood memories, so it's the perfect place for me to set my stories. It's a fun time to romanticize.

    Northwest Florida is now under a tornado warning, so I'll sign off for now. Be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Cara - WONDERFUL news. And this is a VERY helpful post on setting. Had never thought so much about how it affected such a huge amount of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Cara! This is wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cara, you headline grabber...

    Talk about a hook ending...

    "Northwest Florida is under a tornado warning, so I'll sign off now."

    That was a little glib. I'd be, "OH MY GOSH, THERE'S A TORNADO WARNING, I GOTTA GO, BE BACK LATER, YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHERE THOSE THINGS WILL HIT AND I'VE GOT TO GET THE DOGS, THE KIDS, THE CATS AND EVERYTHING SMALL AND HAIRY TO SAFETY WITH WATER AND COOKIES OR MAYBE I'LL GRAB SOME OF THOSE PUMPKIN MUFFINS, WHAT DO YOU GIRLS THINK? WHAT'S PERFECT WHEN..."
    Of course by this time the storm's been and gone.

    Sigh. Good job Cara.

    And I love your post, Cara, not only about the book settings you've used, but book settings in general. A setting is the background canvas... I want to see it, be immersed in it so that when the UPS guy (even the cute one) comes to the door, I'm annoyed because my attention's diverted.

    I think romantic suspense takes advantage of this in a different way. Deb's MIA is set in a big, thriving city where it's easy for Nicole to disappear.

    Solitary settings in secluded places make us feel alone and vulnerable. Gothics give us an unreal, surreal feeling, as if darkness hovers even in daylight.

    And then you've got Mary Connealy, but that's a whole 'nother post.

    I'm loving the cheese blintzes, Sandra. Thank you!

    And I brought fresh lemonade because I know it's warm somewhere, right???

    Ruthy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha, of course. Now I see why your post wasn't up before I was. Thanks for sharing your excitement, it's contagious!
    Congratulations Cara on your great news.

    I fell in love with GWTW myself and it drove my love of historical fiction, history in general and my longing to visit THE SOUTH. (oops , slipping into dialect here . . .)

    In my historical suspense, I feel that setting is very important because it has given it a gothic flavor. I want my readers to 'get the creeps'! So, I found it interesting to see your thoughts on the amount of setting in a suspense--the possibility of it slowing the pace.

    But I'll worry about that tomorrow, because . . . tomorrow is another day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww, Congratulations!!! ;-)
    You're right about setting. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, Cara, on the GH final. My cute little golden heart is still stuck on my nametag from the 2007 national conference. Sometimes I feel like finaling was a dream. Nice to have a tactile reminder. :-) I'll join ya in enjoying Sandra's fake champagne.

    A tornado warning? Now I'm from Oklahoma. Both hubby and oldest son are trained storm chasers. When a tornado warning is issued, that's a call to go outside and admire the rotation.

    The first year we lived in Virginia, a tornado warning was reported 60 miles away and schools and businesses cancelled evening activities. Please. 60 yards away is the time to calmly walk to the hidey hole. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your Golden Heart nod, Cara.

    About settings, sometimes I appreciate a more gritty setting even in romances, kind of like beauty among the ashes. The most important thing for me is that I get a sense of the setting, and if I'm familiar with it, that the author is true to that setting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY!
    YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! CARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY!
    OUR SEEKER GOLDEN GIRL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Post Script.

    Cara, my brain is all over that "Pride and Prejudice in India or the Wild West". Actually I'm beginning to see all the possibilities.

    By the way, are you going to the RWA conference?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The tornado warning is over and the rain has ended. Nothing like a good anti-climax!

    I was thinking in RS you have to make the reader feel the setting with lots of atmosphere and you have to weave it in fairly quickly. You can't meander. You have to keep the tension strong.

    I'd like to develop a fantasy world because that would certainly teach me a lot about setting--aspects of it I probably take for granted.

    I forgot to mention about my GH entry, I sent it in at the least minute. I couldn't make a CD of the full ms (my husband said I must have the wrong type of CD. Does that sound right???) so I printed out all 250 or so pages. Naturally it wouldn't fit into any envelope I had. I barely fit into a box from the post office. But they were so nice and taped it up so tight I was lucky it didn't burst apart. It made it there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are all SO PROUD of our very own Cara for finaling in the GH!!!!!

    And terrific post, Cara! Generally I prefer contemporary novels, but I won't pass up a really good historical. The important thing for me is the story and the characters. I want just enough history to make it realistic but not so much that I feel like I'm back in Mr. Byrd's 9th-grade history class needing to take notes for a quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Cara!! That's WONderful!!!!

    Setting. Ugh. I realized this month that I stink at setting. Which means this post is timely for me. yay. I'll be working on fixing and adding more setting to my ms. Double yay. And making sure it's in there when I get to start the historical that's bellowing at me.

    OH! On a brighter note--I found Cheryl's Ready-Made Family at WallyWorld yesterday and have since finished my first read through of it. First, mind you. Wow. What a story. I was annoyed when my hubby called and I was on page 202. So not nice of him! LoL Cheryl, when you sign my copy, it might be in less than pristine shape. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to come back and clicky a little box below because I learn a lot from comments. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did anybody bring lunch???

    I'm starved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations !!!!!
    And I enjoyed the post. I've been revising my novel to create a better feel for the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ruthy, I thought you were bringing lunch--something gourmet.

    I forgot to mention in my post that a really great book about setting is called (appropriately) Setting by Jack M. Bickham.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved your post, Cara. Your words are so relevant for historical fiction and for me writing the setting is the easier task in writing an historical. But how I struggle with dialogue. Major congrats on finalling in the Golden Heart. And to think it almost wasn't sent out. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. Setting is so important.

    How about the settings in Far and Away with Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise?

    And the Boston & Ireland settings in Julie's Daughters of Boston series?

    And Cara!!!

    Still tickled to death over your final in the GH!

    Whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pat, I think dialogue is tricky. I read a few books written during the period I'm writing about to get a taste of authentic speech patterns. Also, I read books written in our time frame to see how modern authors modify the speech to make it sound fine to us, yet keep the flavor of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for going beyond the obvious aspects of setting. Your perspective gave me a lot to think about.

    Congratulations on being a Golden Heart finalist. Awesome!

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations, Cara!

    Our Golden Heart finalist deserves to be a little disorganized, but that's not the case here. Thanks for the reminder that setting gives the book a soul : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cara,
    Congrats again on being a Golden Heart finalist. I enjoyed reading your post. I think Newport, RI is also a fascinating place. I live in an area with many Victorian houses that were built around that time period. Although I write contemporaries, I've often considered doing a book set in that time period here in Florida. If I ever get around to it, I'll have to pick your brain for resources on the era.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cara,
    Congrats on your Golden Heart final!!! Fantastic! Can't wait to read LOVE ON A DIME in print ... hope some lucky editor snatches it up ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So happy for you, Cara!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, and you do know they made a movie, a Pride and Prejudice story, set in modern-day India a few years ago? It was called Bride and Prejudice, and it was a really fun musical.

    I'm not making this up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations, Cara, and to all the winners!

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations, Cara, and to all the winners!

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Woo hoo, Carolyn!! Great post about setting, but I'm still more excited about your GH final. LOL

    ReplyDelete