Wednesday, December 13, 2017

HO-HO-HO! Funny You Should Say That … Or Putting Humor in Our Writing!


 

A joyful heart is good medicine,

but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
— Proverbs 17:22

I don’t know about you youngsters out there, but at the ripe old age of 67, the last thing I want is dry bones! Had my bone density a while back and I’m just a hair shy of normal (my bones, mind you, not my personality!), so I cannot risk reading depressing, dry, slice-of-life books. Frankly I’m a Calgon-take-me-away type of gal who, come to think of it, has dry skin as well. Bottom line? The older we get, the less there is to laugh about, which is exactly why we need humor in our writing!

Especially this time of year when holiday stress can take its toll. So, l thought this was the appropriate time to update one of my favorite blogs from the past about humor to put a little HO-HO-HO in our writing.

 🎄WHY INFUSE HUMOR IN YOUR WRITING?🎄

1.) HUMOR CAN SET THE TONE OF YOUR BOOK OR CHARACTERS:  Mary Connealy’s Calico Canyon is about a teacher who, in the process of attempting to tame five hellion little boys and their pa, accidentally ends up as a ma and wife to them instead. I'm sure you'll agree that the first line of this true Connealy classic sets the mood for the entire book, which is a light and humorous read.

 The five horsemen of the Apocalypse rode in. Late as usual.
—Calico Canyon, Mary Connealy

Next, in book 1 of my Isle of Hope series, Isle of Hope Unfailing Love, I wanted to not only clue the readers in as to the what the story was about (a former wild girl/now a woman of faith who returns to her hometown after eight years to make amends to the father she defied, the boyfriend she deserted, and the best friend she betrayed), but I wanted to add a little humor to lighten the subject.

 When it comes to burning bridges, I am the Queen of Kerosene.
—Isle of Hope, Julie Lessman

Now, it’s no secret I am a first-line freak (see my Seeker blog entitled The Perfect Pickup Line ... Or How to Hook a Reader!), but when you can slap a little humor in that first line, to me, it’s pure Nirvana, such as in the excellent following examples:

If there was one thing Josie knew, it was the smell of a rich man. 
And whoever had just walked into the diner smelled like Fort Knox.
 —Her Unlikely Family, Missy Tippens

Unemployed. Single. And out of brownie mix.  
                         —A Valentine’s Wish, Betsy St. Amant

 2.) HUMOR CAN ENDEAR YOUR CHARACTERS TO YOUR READER AND PROVIDE A CHARACTER DEPTH THAT FEELS NORMAL, NATURAL, AND INVITING. In this scene from A Love Surrendered, Charity O’Connor is the “quirky” sister who provides most of the comic relief in the series, which helps to make the family “feel” so
much more fun and close like a family should be.


“Ouch.” Steven grinned, biceps taut as he folded his arms. “Poor Mitch—bet that hurt.”

“Not as much as it hurt Henry. Mitch went off like a rocket’s red glare. Haven’t seen the love of my life lose it like that since …” She paused to think, head cocked and hand to mouth. “Well, I guess since yesterday when he cut his face with the razor I used on the neighbor’s dog.” She scrunched her nose and shivered. “Beggar’s lice and skunk. Don’t ask—it’s not pretty.”


3.) HUMOR CAN BRING BALANCE AND COMIC RELIEF TO A SERIOUS SCENE: In the following scene from A Heart Revealed, the heroine Emma Malloy is devastated by something that has happened to her, which in turn devastates the hero Sean O’Connor who is in love with her. To lighten the tone of what is a very serious last quarter of the book, I layered humor into this heartbreaking situation by having Charity O’Connor, the quirky busy-body of the family, try to weasel information out of her brother . Note the heavy use of stoically comical facial expressions/humorous posture on the hero’s part combined with Charity’s relentless probing regarding her best friend Emma. 

She tapped her foot on the leafy pavement. “Something’s up, Sean, I can feel it in my bones, and so help me I will badger you all the way home if you don’t spill it now.”
His frustration blasted out in a cloud of smoke. “I can’t tell you, Charity, I promised.”
“Oh, fiddle, that’s an easy fix. I’ll just ask the questions, and you give me that stone-face look of yours that will tell me everything I need to know.”
“But that’s not right.”
“Sure it is,” she said, dismissing his concern with a wave of her hand. “I do it with Mitch all the time.” Head cocked, she chewed on her lip. “Okay, it’s something that happened at work, but it has to be personal because Emma’s steady as a rock in all business matters, right?”
He stared, trying not to blink.
“Okay, good, a personal situation at work that involves a person other than you.”
His jaw dropped. “I never said that.”
“Sure you did, when you did that pinching thing with your nose as a stall tactic.”
He crossed his arms to his chest, emotional battlement to ward off the enemy.
“Now ... let’s see,” she said, finger to her chin. “Somebody upset Emma pretty badly, which means it has to be someone who doesn’t work at the store.”
“Why?” he asked in exasperation, his patience as thin as his energy.
Charity blinked. “Why? Because the woman who bolted up my steps was as pale as death,” she said, enunciating slowly as if explaining something to Henry. “Which means it has to be someone she feels threatened by, and that rules out everyone at Dennehy’s.”
His lips compressed.
She gave him a quick nod and started to pace, head down and arms folded. “Okay, so it has to be an outsider she’s afraid of and probably a man.” She halted mid-stride, eyes spanning wide. “Wait, it’s not that bum who beat her up, is it? You know, her neighbor’s boyfriend?”
Swallowing his discomfort, he gave her a blank stare, facial muscles relaxing.
She blew out a sigh of relief. “Oh, good. For a second there, I was worried.”
“How the devil do you do that?” he said in a choke, lips parted in shock.
She tapped a finger to her head. “Stone face, remember?” Her mouth flattened. “ It’s a gift—honed to perfection by Mitch Dennehy.”
 4.) HUMOR PROVIDES CONTRAST TO DRAMA, DEEPENING THE EFFECT OF BOTH IN A STORY:  I personally love to sprinkle in short, dramatic one- or two-word sentences/thoughts in my writing, but if I put them in every paragraph, they would lose their effect since there is no contrast to give them punch. It’s the same with humor and drama—a mix of each provides contrast to sharpen both your prose and your story.

In this scene from A Passion Most Pure, the heroine Faith O’Connor meets her manager Mitch Dennehy for the first time, an encounter that is both dramatic and traumatic for her. Upon introduction, Mitch proceeds to bait and pick on Faith, so to play up the drama, I incorporated traces of humor (i.e. analogy of the blush of her cheeks spreading like blight in the rainy season and comparing Faith’s tension to straddling a mule about to buck rather than a horse since a mule is more comical). I think the slight touch of humor helps to sharpen the delivery of a dramatic and hard-hitting punchline that not only puts her bully of a manager in his place, but conveys the message that she will not tolerate ridicule.

Mitch didn’t say a word, only eyed her with practiced superiority, and the blush on her cheeks spread like blight in the rainy season. Michael watched in fascination as a smile fluttered on his department editor’s lips. Mitch’s penetrating blue eyes drifted from the tiny hands pinched white in Faith’s lap, to the soft tendril of hair that curved the nape of her neck.

There was no mercy in Mitch’s smile. “Michael tells me you were a copywriter at The Boston Herald, is that right?”

Faith hesitated, then sucked in a shaky breath. “Yes, I mean I did write some copy …”

Mitch nodded. His cocky smile worked its way into a grin. “Some copy? Have you done any feature writing before?” He was waiting. They were all waiting.

The hot stain on her cheeks infected the tips of her ears. “No, I haven’t done much feature writing, exactly …”

“Any reviews, editorials, hard news?”

She tensed as if straddling a mule about to buck. “No, I’m afraid I don’t have much experience doing any of that …”

“Well, then, Miss O’Connor,” he mused, his eyes laughing at her, “Tell me. Is there anything you can do?”

The air stilled to a deathly hush. Slowly, she lifted her chin to stare at him with as much defiance as she could politely display. “Yes sir …” she said, producing a smile that was anything but, “I can be on time.” 

🎄22 WAYS TO INFUSE HUMOR INTO YOUR WRITING🎄

There are dozens of simple ways to incorporate humor in your stories such as good word choice (i.e. the example above in point 4 where I use the word “mule” instead of the more expected “horse” in the phrase “straddling a mule about to buck”), as well as exaggerated emphasis with punctuation such as ellipses and dashes, pacing, timing, silence, facial and body gestures, etc.

That said, following are a number of favorite ways I like to inject humor in my writing, but today we will only cover the first three of twenty-two points, points A, B, and C, which are  prequel points to my original Part 1 blog post. 

NOTE: To spare you a ridiculously LONG post, points 1- 4 can be found in Part 1 HERE (simply scroll down to where the points are listed mid-blog) and points 6-19 can be found in Part 2 HERE

Ready? Here we go on points A, B, and C … 
A.) Pick Character Name To Infuse Humor
B.) Slapstick Activity
C.) Humorous Thoughts/Internal Monologue
1.) Analogy/Metaphor/Simile
2.) Facial Features
3.) Pun
4.) Sarcasm
5.) Jokes and Quips
6.) Slapstick Dialogue/Internal Monologue
7.) Serious Subject/Humorous Take
8.) Play on Words
9.) Scene Set-Up
10.) Self-Deprecation
11.) Sibling Rivalry
12.) Quirky Personality
13.) Fib
14.) Name Calling
15.) Alliteration
16.) Props
17.) Shock
18.) David and Goliath Factor
19.) Kids

A.) CHOOSE CHARACTER NAMES YOU CAN USE FOR HUMOR:  Since my latest novel, For Love of Liberty, is a romantic comedy about a hero and heroine who butt heads, I purposely chose a hero name — Griffin McShane that the heroine could make fun of, which she does quite frequently, referring to him as Griffin McVain, Griffin McShame, Griffin McPain, and Griffin McBlame. Here's a sample, which I hope highlights the humor and fun in store for both the characters and the readers.
“Abominable.”
Miss Willoughby’s voice rang clear and concise from the back of the schoolroom, spelling primer in hand as she offered fourteen-year-old Liberty “Libby” O’Shea an encouraging smile. “Since everyone has been eliminated from the spelling bee except you and Mr. McShane, Miss O’Shea, we’ll need both the definition and usage of the word in a sentence in addition to the spelling, all right?”
“Yes, ma’am.” Libby’s smile tightened, the presence of seventeen-year-old Griffin McShane a few feet away girding her with the resolve to put the cocky know-it-all in his place. “Abominable,” she repeated in a loud voice, her mind immediately tracking to the most appropriate definition: Griffin McVain.
She cleared her throat. “A-b-o-m-i-n-a-b-l-e. Definition: something unpleasant, disagreeable, repulsive, disgusting, loathsome, nauseating, insufferable, despicable, and horrible. Sentence usage …” She bit back the squirm of a smile. Griffin McShane is an abominable rogue. Shoulders square, she notched her chin up. “Spilling ink on a classmate’s term paper is an abominable thing to do.”

I believe in making my character names do double duty. Such as in my series Isle of Hope and my latest book in that series, His Steadfast Love, in which I chose the name Katherine Marie O'Bryen for the heroine, who is a sarcastic type with a temper. But since fishing off a dock is a big part of this series, I changed the spelling to Catherine so I could have her brother coin the nickname "Catfish" for the “chatty twin with a big mouth as bristly as a catfish.” Extra humorous mileage I was able to build in. 

B.) SLAPSTICK ACTIVITY: The movie McLintock with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara is one of my favorites because I'm of the age and era where humorous head-butting and manhandling in movies was in vogue (i.e. John Wayne carrying Maureen O'Hara through the streets of a Western town in her chemise in McLintock or Rock Hudson storming Doris Day's apartment to carry her in her pajamas through the streets in Pillow Talk). It was light and funny slapstick activity, which is what I tried to do in my latest novel, For Love of Liberty. The trick, I think, is to allow humor to soften what would normally be outrageous manhandling to heighten the head-butting in a Taming of the Shrew type of plot. Here's a clip from For Love of Liberty to show you what I mean:
“Oh, no you don’t, mister.” Launching herself forward, Liberty spurted around him, arms pasted to the jambs to block his way. “We are going to finish this conversation.”

Over-my-dead-body,” he growled, heating more than her cheeks when he rudely plucked her up by the waist and set her aside so hard, she wobbled.

“Oh—good idea!” She tripped him with her foot, biting back a smile when he flailed like a puppet before regaining his balance. “But first we’re going to talk, you … you … ill-mannered mule!”

“Okay, that’s it.” A squeak left her lips while her body took flight, her squeal quickly lost in an unladylike grunt when he tossed her over his shoulder like a sack of feed. “And I’ve never met a mule with manners, Miss Bell, but if I do, I’ll be sure to send him over to give you some tips. Del, I’ll be back shortly.” He slammed the door hard, drawing the attention of several men who issued jovial greetings as they passed, their low chuckles broiling her cheeks all the more.

“Put me down right now!” she hissed, wiggling and pummeling his back with her free hand while she clutched her purse with the other. Passing the mercantile next door, she noted the dropped jaws of several well-dressed women. Another rush of blood scorched her face, both from anger and the humiliation of hanging upside down like a bat. “Let-me-down-this-instant!” she gritted out with renewed fury, battering him all the harder. “You are acting like a complete barbarian!”

“Well, no surprise there.” He stomped down the wooden sidewalk, locking her legs against his chest when she tried to kick him. “What do you expect from somebody who starves babies and women—chivalry?”

“Ha!” she shouted, banging shoulders that felt like boulders while she commenced to bashing his head with her purse. “You wouldn’t know the meaning of chivalry if Daniel Webster personally defined it for you, you … you … overgrown bully!”

“No, but I sure can spell it, lady, along with royal pain in the—”

“Afternoon, Finn.” A man offered a casual tip of his hat, continuing on down the boardwalk as if Finn McShane manhandling a woman were an everyday occurrence.

C.) HUMOROUS THOUGHTS/INTERNAL MONOLOGUE: One of the easiest ways to add humor in a story is through a character's thoughts or internal monologue. Here are some examples to show you what I mean:

For Love of Liberty by Julie Lessman
       Martha gently brushed the blue ribbon, a look of awe shining on her face. “I honestly didn’t think we’d stand a chance since Finn’s booth is so amazing, but I’m overjoyed we did.” She looped her arm through Liberty's. “What are you going to do with your share of the award money, Libby?”
      Hire a gunslinger.
Love at Any Cost by Julie Lessman
A grin inched across his face as his eyes slowly trailed back up as naturally as the dimples that deepened with the lift of his smile. Heat suffused her cheeks, as much from the obscene number of petticoats Mother’d insisted she wear as the Romeo’s frank perusal. Flattery will get you nowhere, mister. Her lips took a slant. Though it’d certainly gotten Mark’s ring on her finger. She issued a silent grunt. A history lesson unto itself, she thought, the smell of horse manure from buggies lining the terminal oddly comforting.
And appropriate.
Okay, that’s it—our first three points A, B, and C in this prequel post. And trust me—you don’t want to miss the next four points in my original post, Funny You Should Say That Part 1 and the subsequent post that finishes this series up, Funny You Should Say That Part 2 because they are FUN!! 

Giveaway:   
Leave a comment and humor tips of your own if you like, humorous samples of yours or other writers, or just the name of humorous authors you enjoy, and you will be entered to win an e-copy of my latest novel, For Love of Liberty or your choice of any of my indie e-books.



Hugs,

Julie

92 comments :

  1. The cow song in Edenbrooke always makes me laugh until I cry. The last time I read it, I nearly broke my face trying to hold in the laughter/tears so I wouldn't disturb all the other people in the vehicle hooked on their own sources of entertainment on our long trip, but goodness, though I've already read it and knew it was coming, it was just as hilarious as the last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Melissa, I have had a number of people tell me I need to read Edenbrooke, and now you've given me yet another reason, so I guess I need to, don't I? Especially with a 5-star rating and 1408 reviews-- WOW!!

      It's on my Christmas list, for the cow song, if nothing else! :)

      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
    2. Melissa, I just added that book to my wish list! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie:

    Wow! There's enough good advice in these three posts on humor to fill a whole book! You didn't leave me anything to add. :(

    I'll have to go in a little different direction. That is creating a scene that makes the reader feel happy. Like humor, happy can moisten dry bones. (And that's better than an infusion.) What I like that made me feel happy was when Charity barged into her husband's predatory boss's office to fight for her man! I'd call this an applause scene. I also like scenes where Charity gets thwarted. They may not be funny but they are fun to read.

    Well, since you covered all the humor, this is the best I can do to add to the discussion. : )

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... I think that's a first, my friend, not leaving you much to add! ;) But Vince, you DID notice I was forced to defer to you IN Post 2 (in the blog itself, not the comments) with the following?

      "Please note: Resident Seeker friend, Vince Mooney, posted an EXCELLENT blog that puts mine to shame entitled 108 Ways to Have Your Hero Demonstrate a Sense of Humor, so check it out!"

      And I have to say, I think you are the first person who has EVER commented on that scene, so THANK YOU!! I actually LOVE that scene because it's so reminiscent of my knock-down, drag-out fights with my sister!! When I was in my early teens, my older sister would wale on me and win. But the moment she pulled my hair, it was like pulling a pin from a grenade -- I turned into the Incredible Hulk and waled right back, always winning the fight. :) So Charity helps to put a good (and humorous) spin on those memories for me. By the way, that sister and I are very close now, after she fully came to the Lord years later. :)

      So again, thanks for bringing that scene up because it brought a smile to my face! I can still see Charity body-slamming that vixen onto the conference table and ripping her hair out while Mitch looked on in horror. Unfortunately, the repercussions of temper like that are grave, as I go on to prove in the story, which to me is one of the most heartbreaking story lines I've ever written.

      Vince, I know I have told you how much I appreciate you, your wit, your creative mind, and your friendship, but let me say it one more time. You absolutely ROCK, my friend!!

      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, Julie. I'm having a hard time picturing you in a hair pulling fight!! LOL But your grenade description is so good!!

      Delete
  3. Julie, this is classic Lessman! :)

    I love sprinkling in my particular brand of humor in stories and my mystery series is a wonderful personal outlet for that... and makes me laugh!

    Well done, and wishing you a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruthy! This was a fun blog series to write, I have to admit. And it showed me something I never fully realized before and that is I can be funny, which kind of shocked me, to be honest! I never saw myself that way before. :)

      I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and holy Christmas, too, my friend. :)

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  4. Fantastic post, Julie! I love a little humor sprinkled in my romance. I remember that line from A Valentine’s Wish! We can all benefit from more laughter in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, AMEN to that, Jill!! Absolutely LOVE that line from Betsy's book, and quite frankly, I absolutely LOVE Betsy too -- she's a sweetheart. :)

      HUGS and Merry Christmas to you and yours!
      Julie

      Delete
  5. Oh, such a great post! I love all the examples of humor. I’m not a writer but recently discovered Krista Phillips and Pepper Basham who had me laughing out loud while reading their books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, MH, thank you!! And, yes, Pepper is a hoot, and it definitely shows in her writing! I've not read much of Krista's work to definitively know, but I think maybe I should, with your endorsement!

      Hugs and Happy, Holy Holidays!!
      Julie

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post, Julie - - and Amen to more laughter and humor in stories! Thanks for sharing all these great examples. I love sprinkling in bits of humor in my writing, especially following a more serious part of the story. Anytime we can find a reason to laugh is good, in my humble opinion. :)
    I hope you're having a delightful Christmas season and will have a blessed New Year!
    Hugs, Patti Jo

    P.S. For Love of Liberty - - FIVE STARS!! Love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Patti Jo, THANK YOU, my sweet friend, for your kind comments on both this blog and For Love of Liberty -- MUCH appreciated!!

      You know, girlfriend, you are one of those people who light up inside, bringing smile and joy to all you meet. That's how I always think of you, Patti Jo, so thank YOU for all the smiles you have brought into my life and Seekerville!

      Hugs and more hugs and a BLESSED CHRISTMAS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  7. Vintage, Julie! You age well, dawling. Love the sassy pic of you in the red nose.

    But speaking of bone density, mine was a little low a couple of years ago. Doc scheduled a test for me today, but yesterday, I thought, "Nah. Who needs to know about dry bones before Christmas. January will do. So I rescheduled."

    That's what I love about Seekerville authors...your sense of humor! I laugh out loud everytime I read one of your books. I think my bones are well lubricated by now, thank you very much.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BARB!!! Gosh I miss seeing you around, my sweet friend, so it's GREAT to catch up with you here!

      LOL about the reschedule -- I hear you on that, for sure! You're a wise woman!

      I love when a book makes me laugh out loud, and you're right -- The Seekers are good at that, especially our Ms. Connealy. ;)

      I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and holy holiday season, Barb, and one of these days, my friend, we're going to be able to sit down for coffee or lunch, okay?

      Hugs and more hugs!!
      Julie

      Delete
    2. LOL, Barbara!! It's funny that we're all thinking of our bones right now. I just had a bone density scan last week. Mine are okay for now!

      Delete
  8. What a fun, and funny, post to read! And so true. Humor in books is a lost art. That's why I have it in places in my current romance novel in progress, Twofold Love Comeback. Here is an excerpt of something I have read to others, all of whom laughed. I hope you will do the same. And Merry Christmas to you.

    “Let’s go to it. They’re showing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.” Marilyn Monroe was and always will be my favorite actress.
    He gazed down at me, put his arms around my waist, rocked me gently side to side and said, “I don’t want to see that.” He kissed my forehead.
    My eyes showed the shock of what he had said. They held his, searching for what he was trying to say, hoping he was kidding. “Why not?”
    “Because I don’t prefer blondes.” Whoa! Here come the sweet nothings again. “I prefer curly brown-haired women like you.”

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post, Julie! You always give us so much in your blogs. I especially like your list of ways to infuse humor into our writing. A keeper, for sure. Thank you!

    Wishing you and yours a joyous Christmas filled with laughter--lots of laughter--and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Deb, that's one of the most gracious ways of saying I write long, LONG posts, girlfriend, so GOOD JOB! ;)

      Believe it or not, I originally included the first four points of that list in this particular blog, but when the word count was leaning toward 5,000 words, I thought I better nip that in the bud, so I made this a prequel post instead with just A,B,and C additons. (I'm reallly getting into those prequels, I'll tell you that! ;)

      Anyway, right back at you on the joyous Christmas, my friend, overflowing with lots of laughter and love!

      Hugs and more hugs!
      Julie

      Delete
  10. Good morning, Julie! And thank you for this light-hearted look at using humor in our stories. Humor is so subjective and I'm glad you illustrated that adding humor doesn't mean over the top slapstick comedy and knock-knock jokes. :) Sometimes it's just the twist of a phrase that can bring a smile or a situation the hero or heroine has found themselves in--and are trying to get out of--that warms a heart. A little "something extra" that clues readers in to the personalities of your characters, how they see the world, and what's going on inside of them. You've provided great examples. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOOOOOO true, Glynna, about the subtle "twist of a phrase" that can elicit a smile, so thank you for pointing that out. I tend to be an all or nothing type of gal, so a lot of my points are extreme CDQ, but then "subtle" is a talent I don't have a lot of! ;)

      Hugs and MERRY CHRISTMAS, my sweet friend!!
      Julie

      Delete
  11. Julie, it's so fun to revisit this great post!! You know sometimes I find humor popping up in my stories over and over. Other times I'm so intent on finishing that I'm plowing through focusing only on plot and tend to write soooo dry. I really have to revise those stories.

    I love all your examples!! What a great study in humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy, and thanks for the use of that fabulous first line -- always has and always will be one of my faves! :)

      HUGS and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS!
      Julie

      Delete
  12. I love your tips. Thanks so much. No need to throw my name in the hat. I'm in the book! It was a fun story and I got a kick from seeing my name in print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's right, Bettie, and you were a fairly decent person unlike some poor reader freinds who have won their name in my books. Several were very wild women and one was a prostitute, but I did clear it with her before I gave her that role. ;)

      I am SO glad you enjoyed Liberty! And now I have a favor to ask. I don’t know if you are into posting reviews or not, but if you are, would you consider possibly posting a brief review on Amazon (1 or 2 lines is fine) if you haven’t yet done so? And if you do, please let me know so I can personally thank you, okay? Most people don’t realize how critical good reviews are to authors, but so many potential readers base their book-buying decisions on the number of good reviews posted, so that’s the best way to bless an author you like. BUT … if reviews are NOT your thing, NO WORRIES!! I’m just SO grateful you read my books in the first place! :)

      Hugs and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  13. I do enjoy humor.. and.. I need to read more of your books!! I do enjoy Mary Connealy's books.
    Merry Christmas and toss me in please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, YES, YES, YES, Deanna, you DO need to read more of my books!! ;) And For Love of Liberty would be a great one to start with because it does remind me of a Mary Connealy book a wee bit because of the Western theme and humor. :) Who knows? Maybe you will win it here, so GOOD LUCK!!

      Hugs and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  14. Julie, what a fun post.

    Listening to people helps me infuse humor into my stories. Words, mannerisms and looks. I don't think I'm making fun of anybody, but if they make me smile, is that humorous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you bet that's humorous, Jackie, because let's face it, people are "characters" and so fun to watch and smile over.

      In fact, I have several friends that I think are so darn cute and quirky, that just thinking of their mannerisms makes me smile.

      A good example is Laura Frantz. She is a dear friend of mine who has the MOST delightful Kentucky accent, and when you say something that makes her smile, she says the word "Oh" in SUCH an adorable way, dragging it out as it rises in octave like, "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!" Sooooooo stinkin' cute!!!

      Merry Christmas, Jackie, and may the new year fulfill more than one of your dreams, my friend!

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  15. Hi Julie - who does humor better than Julie Lessman? Tina and Ruthy are right there with you. I can always count on a few grins from my Seeker friends. Great post as any humor I write usually comes unplanned, just sort of hit me at the moment like a smart-alec quip in conversation would. I love the example of changing Katherine to Catherine to allow for the nickname. Thanks Julie - you are awesome as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Cindy, thank you SOOOO much for your sweet comment!! I honestly never thought I was funny until I created Charity O'Connor and found myself laughing whenever she was in a scene. That's when I realized she had to come from somewhere, right?

      And THANK YOU for mentioning changing Katherine to Catherine. I ALMOST took that paragraph out of the blog because it was already too long and I needed to edit it, but at the last minute, I thought -- who knows, that might put the idea in someone else's head and subsequently help them to create an even better character name. :)

      I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and holy holiday season, my sweet friend -- you are a blessing, Cindy!

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  16. Now I want to read Edenbrooke! I'll tell you which other Seeker is funny besides the usual suspects...Janet Dean. Dry wit. Love it.

    This is a terrific post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tina, you are SOOOOO dead-on about Janet!! You know, Janet fools people because she's so classy and dignified that when she slips a dry quip in there, it's a belly-acher because I laugh out loud, as do many of the other Seekers.

      So, Janet, this blog is to honor you, too, my friend, for your brilliant dry, curve-ball wit!!

      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
    2. Tina and Julie, you're sweet. I think I'm better at whine than wit!

      Janet

      Delete
    3. LOL ... and that is just ANOTHER example, Janet, of your wit, alliteration notwithstanding! ;)

      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
    4. "I think I'm better at whine than wit!" Yes, but is it not often said, "In vino veritas?"

      I think I'm more like Julie. I'll laugh out loud when reading a Janet Dean book and my wife will say, "What's so funny, now?" And I'll say, "It's not a joke. It's just the context. It would take too long to explain."

      Like the heroine trying to cook, when she has no idea how to cook, in that "Substitute Bride" book. That is more twain than whine.



      Delete
    5. Vince, I love Mark Twain! Bless you for the comparison. Your quick wit and savvy comments always make my day. Thank you for being you.

      Janet

      Delete
  17. I reread "A Passion Most Pure" recently and the scene you described is one of my favorites! Even how you carried it on days later of Mitch being on time since he didn't dare be late. Makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Ainnirbard, THANK YOU sooooo much!! For both your sweet comment AND rereading A Passion Most Pure! I do love that scene because Faith is the first woman who steps on Mitch's toes enough to make him stand back, and she's not even a fiesty, hair-pulling heroine like Charity, so it made it all the more special to me. :) Glad you liked it too!!

      Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friend!

      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
  18. Unemployed. Single. And out of brownie mix.

    Love this! Ha! I'm not unemployed or single, but I AM out of brownie mix, so I get that this is a horrible, terrible situation to be in! Wahhhhhhhhh!!!!

    And Charity... what a hoot. And poor Mitch.

    For Love of Liberty sounds like a fun, rollicking read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great line, Pam?? Betsy St. Amant is one of my favorites, so I was honored to use her line in this post.

      Hugs and Happy Christmas, my friend!

      Julie

      Delete
  19. Hi Julie, Great article on humor as I love humor in a book. However, a class I took once on writing humor pointed out that humor is often cruel. It is making fun of a situation which helps us laugh about it, but you have to be careful you don't cross the line into cruelty. Made me rethink my attempts at humor. But I'm English descent so my sense of humor is non-existant anyway. LOL Or so that's what my family tells me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, And I agree with so many of the comments. You really do humor well. I love how your characters use humor to deal with their issues. Very healthy and fun.

      Delete
    2. As, Sandra, thank you for your sweet comment! I discovered that I LOVE humor, but not the mean kind, so I agree with you there too. I never liked Don Rickles for that reason -- too caustic!

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  20. Love your books, your humor, and seeing you here on Seekerville today!! Needed some Julie time before Christmas...lol. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! Looking forward to more great books from you in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Jackie -- SO appreciate your support, you sweet thing!!

      I wish you and yours a MOST BLESSED Christmas and new year!

      Hugs and more hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
  21. I love McClintock--one of Grandpa's favorites, too.

    I laughed so hard while reading Jen Turano's latest book--Out of the Ordinary. The men decide to take ideas from novels while compiling a List of Romantic Gestures to use on the girls (with spectacularly disastrous results). Just the thought of it makes me want to crack up all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rachael, then I reallllly need to read that one, I guess! LOVE Jen and her books because I know they are guaranteed smiles or chuckles!

      HUGS and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  22. Great tips, Julie! I do enjoy appropriately placed touches of humor in a story, but I find I can't force them in my writing. The ones that crop up serendipitously are usually the most fun--and the most effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO true, Myra! I find the funniest things I write come that way instead of me trying to force them. So it was extra fun to research how I do write humor because most of it was spontaneous, allowing me to study just why it was funny.

      Hugs and MERRY CHRISTMAS, my sweet friend!!
      Julie

      Delete
  23. Julie, I love your books and your humor. Growing up, humor was sometimes the only way to get through a tough situation. I still use it today, but label it as sarcasm. Love it.

    Merry Christmas, and Abundant Blessings to you and yours, and to all of Seekerville,

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Marcia, thank you SO much, my sweet friend, and YES, "sarcasm" is fun, isn't it? I'm not so sarcastic myself, but my friend, Charity O'Connor, is reallllllly bad! ;)

      Merry Christmas to you, too, you Marcia, and a ABUNDANTLY BLESSED new year!

      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
  24. Hi Julie!!!

    I loved your intro to this blog. Dry bones? Dry skin? Girl, you are anything but dry!

    I love it when humor creeps into my books, but I can never pull it off if I try to put it in on purpose. My husband and I share a very dry, quirky sense of humor, and it doesn't translate well in print.

    I knew I had scored big, though, when my editor's revision note on one scene said she laughed so loud she scared her cats. :) But that scene? I really hadn't meant it to be funny!

    Thanks for the great post. And Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLL (laugh out loud LOUDLY)!!! That's a hoot, Jan, about your editor laughing at the scene you hadn't meant to be funny. WHOOPS!! ;)

      I thought of you just this morning, my friend, when I pulled your adorable sticky notes out of my drawer to write a note. You know, the ones you put in the CFRR goodie bag? LOVE THEM!! So I'm saying a prayer of blessing for you right now and will every time I use them, so there! :)

      Hugs and I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and holy holiday season!

      Julie

      Delete
  25. Julie, you're Christmas clown get-up is a hoot and fits the post perfectly! Thanks for all the terrific examples of putting humor into our stories. I cannot wait to read Love of Liberty!!

    I like to use humorous secondary characters in my stories. One of my favorites was a hypochondriac cafe owner, a regular at the doctor's office in Courting the Doctor's Daughter.

    I also love stories where a character is a "fish out of water" and the situations she must deal with add humor. Elizabeth was such a character in my story The Substitute Bride. I tried to balance the humor with her underlying heartache so the story would have depth and she wouldn't be one dimensional.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet -- your soft and gentle (and oh so dry) wit always comes through in your books, my friend, and LOVE IT!! But mostly I love seeing it on the Seeker loop. You and Mary always make me laugh louder than anybody can, although Missy and Ruthy are right behind you!!

      Hugs and MERRY CHRISTMAS, my sweet friend!
      Julie

      Delete
    2. Yeah, our loud bursts of laughter have scared a few pets and family members. :-)

      Janet

      Delete
    3. LOL, Janet, not just pets either! Keith has jolted me with his laughter when I'm deeply focused on writing. ;)

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  26. Thanks for the smiles, Julie! Great examples from some pretty witty writers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are MORE than welcome, Karen, and thank YOU for taking the time to read them!

      Here's to a win in the contest, my friend.

      HUGS and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
      JULIE

      Delete
  27. Julie, I love your posts. And your humor. I laughed out loud when I read Isle of Hope and that opening line. LOVED it. The examples you shared of humor in first lines gave me some good thoughts for ways to infuse humor into my own books. Thank you for this!!

    Let's see...humor tips I use. I don't really have any. ;) I sometimes twist up clichés a little, or a one-liner will pop into my mind during a bit of dialogue. I guess that's why I need to re-read your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Jeanne, thank you SOOOOO VERY MUCH, my sweet friend, for your support and encouragement -- MUCH appreciated!!

      I do like that opening line to Isle of Hope. I actually wrote that line before I was ever published for a contemporary LI I was planning to write. But I got my 3-book contract from Revell before I could, which is good because then I could use it for IOH. :)

      I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and holy holiday season!

      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
  28. Hilarious post, Julie! I'm a first line perfectionist too, so you're not alone ;)

    My favorite way to use humor is by arguments and witty dialogue. Especially when one of the people arguing is as snarky as I am.

    “So, you lied? Why does that not surprise me?”
    “I like to think of it as embellishing the truth.”
    “You would.”
    “Pray tell, what is that supposed to mean?”
    “Only that the likes of you never admit to what you do wrong. You lie, and you are embellishing the truth. You steal, and you are simply helping someone to be generous. You break your word and you are only modifying it. You murder and you are naturally aiding another soul in their journey to the otherworlds.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Nicki, LOVE your clip, my friend -- BRAVO!! Soooo fun to read and, I'll bet, soooo fun to write, too, eh?

      And, OH YES, those first lines have to be good, so bring 'em on!!

      HUGS and HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
      Julie

      Delete
    2. Ooh, that doesn't sound like fun. Fictional characters it makes a good quote, real people and it's... well it's probably pretty frustrating.

      Delete
  29. Fun post, JULIE! I enjoy the witty dialogue of Kara Isaac and Pepper Basham.

    (((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caryl, I TOTALLY agree on Pepper, but I am ashamed to say that I have yet to read Kara, especially since she's an old friend whose writing I have heard bragged about A LOT. So what's your favorite book of hers?

      By the way, just mailed your paperback copy of His Steadfast Love today, so you should have it in a week or so.

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  30. Love this post, Julie!!!

    McClintock is one of my favorites.
    So many great examples.
    And the one about being single and out of brownie mix is SOOOO relatable, except in my house it would be chocolate chips...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer, Connie, I commented on your comment in the comment below rather than on your actual comment. Double Sigh.

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  31. LOL, Connie!! In my house it would chocolate-covered almonds and Skinny Cow Salted Caramel Pretzel ice cream bars!!!!

    And, YAY, another McLintock lover who spelled it the way I've been spelling it till somebody corrected me. Can you believe it's actually spelled McLintock????? No second "C"???? All these years I had it wrong. Sigh.

    Hugs and I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and holy holiday season!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I started to go back and check the spelling but it looked right so I didn't bother.

      Salted Caramel Pretzel ice cream bars sounds delicious!!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Connie, they ARE!! They're addictive and LOW-CALORIE!!! They're made by Skinny Cow, so do check them out.

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  32. Hi Julie:

    Your comment about Charity being 'bad' about using sarcasm made me think that a lot of what people call sarcasm is really satire. I like satire because it can be much more light-hearted than sarcasm which tends to be bitter (and more cutting than funny). Maybe 'satire' can make it in post IV. You can't stop now!

    Also, there is the absurd. I wrote a 130,000 word book on this theme: The entire universe explodes in a cosmic black moment and all the characters in novels are knocked out of their books and are mixed in with the real people.

    The rest of the book is like "The Wizard of Oz" in which not only Dorothy but everyone in the universe is trying to get back home. They have many adventures. Some fictional characters decide they don't want to go back. They like not knowing if they are real.

    Others get into arguments about whether they are real or not.

    "How can I prove I'm a real person and not a fictional character," Mary says. "I mean how can a real person prove they are real and not a character is someone else's dream"?

    "What about me? I am an author and I put myself as a character in one of my books. How can I prove I'm really me or if I'm just the character in one of my novels?"

    "I don't know, all this confusion makes me think there really are no authors."

    "What," Mary screamed, "You don't believe in authors?"

    Then there is the "It shouldn't be funny" humor. M. C. Beaton in her Hamish Macbeth mysteries has a pair of elderly twin spinsters in which the younger twin always repeats the last three or four words of what the older twin just said. Every time in the book. It should not be funny but it is!!!

    Example:

    "I'm going to the market at three o'clock."
    …"at three o'clock."

    This might fit into the absurd category.

    Oh yes, you just have to have a Part IV! Even if it is just old whine in new bottles, it still will be worth a laugh.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, this is the God's truth -- I have NEVER met a person like you before, with such an extensive imagination and a mind that goes beyond the borders of most people's thoughts. That is a HUGE compliment, my friend!!

      You said: You "like satire because it can be much more light-hearted than sarcasm which tends to be bitter (and more cutting than funny)."

      I totally agree! I am not fond of sarcasm particularly, but satire is less personally biting and more universal in its scope, so I'm with you on that.

      You also said, "I wrote a 130,000 word book on this theme: The entire universe explodes in a cosmic black moment and all the characters in novels are knocked out of their books and are mixed in with the real people."

      Did you really??? Where is it? Not under your bed, I hope? Because it sounds WONDERFUL, my friend, and a truly unique concept, which I totally equate with Vince Mooney. You are one of the most unique minds I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, seriously!

      You said, "Oh yes, you just have to have a Part IV! Even if it is just old whine in new bottles, it still will be worth a laugh."

      LOL ... "old whine in new bottles" ... you are SUCH a hoot!! How about YOU do a Part IV ... or actually a Part 3 since the only ones I've done are a Prequel, a Part 1, and a Part 2? So YOU do the part 3 because I honestly believe, NOBODY would do it better! Think about it my friend. :)

      HUGS and HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
      JULIE

      Delete
    2. Hi Julie:

      I'm so glad I waited to read this last comment until this morning! It's too amazing to not have it's own day to itself to be absorbed!

      And yes, "Characters in a Romance" is written in first draft. It takes five 1" loose-leaf books to hold the hardcopy. It took two nano's to write plus two Seeker March writing sessions.

      The problem is I'm not fond of editing. I'd rather write a new story. This story has the added problem of being so wacky that I can always, on editing, come up with more and better material once it has sat unread for a few days!

      I'll have to send you a few descriptions of some of the events in the book by email. I think you'd enjoy them. :)

      Delete
    3. Vince, YES, DO send me some clips -- I'd love to read them, my friend, because your mind is an amusement theme park all its own!! ;)

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  33. Thanks for using me as a good example, Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding? You're the Queen of Comedy in Rom-Com, so OF COURSE I'm going to use you as a "a good example"!!!!

      HUGS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  34. Julie, I loved reading your post and then seeing all of the humorous comments. An author who can make a reader laugh even when the story is bleak is talented indeed!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Connie -- I SO appreciate your kind comment. I don't know about "talented," but making people laugh in world so full of pain HAS to be close to sainthood, in my opinion, so I'm not counting on being canonized anytime soon. :)

      HUGS and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
      Julie

      Delete
  35. I love humor in a book! Especially when I read it in a suspense novel because it helps ease the tension :-) It usually is so unexpected it takes me back a bit and then I laugh. Some of my favorite are sarcastic, snarky humor (without being mean), witty banter between the hero & heroine (I call it thrust and parry as in fencing), puns (one thing I love about my husband), and definitely kids because they just say whatever comes to mind!

    I can name a few authors who infuse humor in their books; Mary Connealy, Margaret Brownley, Karen Witemeyer, Tina Radcliffe, Deeanne Gist, and others I can't come up with right now. I'm sure I can throw a few Love Inspired authors in that mix too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trixi said, "I love humor in a book! Especially when I read it in a suspense novel because it helps ease the tension :-)"

      You know, Trixi, I never thought about humor easing the tension in suspense because I don't usually read suspense, but you are SO right!! I can see how humor would really benefit the reader in that genre, so GOOD observation, my friend!

      I would add Jen Turano to that list as well, but if you think about it, there aren't a huge number of authors who regularly infuse humor into their work.

      Merry Christmas, Trixi, and God bless!

      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
  36. One of the reasons I love your books so much is the wonderful moments of humor you have in them! You always seem to know the perfect time to put them in! Also love the dry wit you give your characters,it makes them much more entertaining and real. Along with you other authors that add humor that I like are Sarah Sundin,Karen Witemeyer,and even O,Henry could have a sly sense of humor. Thanks so much for reposting this Julie,really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, thank you SO much for being SUCH a support to me, my friend! You're right about O'Henry as I recall (it's been a number of years since I've read him). I've never really thought about Sarah Sundin having a lot of humor, but I do love her books, so I guess I must be so immersed in the plots, I don't focus on much else! ;)

      I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and holy holiday season, Lynne!

      Hugs and more hugs,
      Julie

      Delete
  37. a day late but, love the post, Julie.

    I love Mary Connealy's humor... she always infuses just enough humor to counter the serious stuff she sneaks in.

    I also happen to enjoy Carol Moncado's humor as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Deb, better late than never, my friend, so thanks for coming by!

      Yes, I LOVE Mary's humor, both in her books and her personality!! Carol's, too, for that matter -- they are go-to personalities for fun and laughter for sure!

      SUPER CONGRATS on the job, my friend -- we are all so very excited for you!!

      Hugs and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
      Julie

      Delete
  38. So so cute Julie :) You made me smile. I'm an accountant/analyst...not much humor here lol. That's why I appreciate humor in the books.
    My husband is the one who is always joking around.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Natalya, sorry I missed this, but thank you for coming by to read my post. Glad I could make you smile. :)

      You're lucky to have a funny hubby -- that could come in handy when one is blue or made. MAYBE. ;)

      Hugs and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
      Julie

      Delete