Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The 2008 Challenge

I’ve thought long and hard about this first post of the year. How can I both inspire and motivate my fellow unpublished writers?

Personally I like a challenge, which is of course why I enter contests.

In order to assist you on the road to a publishing contract in 2008 I am going to start off the year with a contest--actually three contests for romance novelists.

· The first contest prize is a box of Godiva chocolate to the writer who enters the most romance writing contests from January 1, through April 30, 2008. Proof of entry is a copy of a cancelled check, PayPal receipt or similar. There will be one winner.

· The second contest has no beginning, but ends August 31st and requires evidence of a manuscript completed in 2008 (not necessarily begun in 2008). The winner of a random drawing will receive $50 to assist their manuscript entry into the 2008 Golden Heart competition. This contest may be entered once per completed manuscript; however, there will be only one winner.

· The third contest has no beginning but ends December 31st and is a double header. Simply submit a complete (not a partial) manuscript to an editor or agent in 2008, send me proof, and you will be entered in a random drawing for one of two prizes: a box of Godiva chocolate or $50 to offset your writing expenses for the year. One entry per unique manuscript submitted to an editor or agent. There will be two winners.


And now for a little writerly inspiration to get you going...

“Writers write. Everyone else makes excuses.” --Jack Bickham

“Half of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up to get it.”
-- Bill Phillips.

“If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster.” --Isaac Asimov

“Do or do not. There is no try.” --Yoda

I hope today is the beginning of a productive and successful 12 months, or 52 weeks, or 365 days, or 8,765 hours.

How ever you divide it, the 2008 clock has already begun ticking, so print a copy of this challenge, post it near your computer and get writing!


Happy New Year!

Tina Russo


All entries should be through my private email address tina@tinarusso.com, with 2008 Challenge in the email subject line. The Seekers are in no way responsible for any issues arising from this blog post. Fellow Seekers are eligible to enter if they are unpublished. Tina Russo is in no way responsible for any entries which are lost in cyberspace or any other telecommunication screw-ups.

12 comments :

  1. Woo hoo, Tina! Great contests!! Y'all get those calenders out and get busy!

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,

    What a great opportunity you are giving. I was telling Missy yesterday how I needed to get my work out there in more contests this year, hopefully in front of more editors. And here you are giving away prizes for doing just that.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is THE year, gals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second that, Tina, 2008 is THE year for those that "do." I love the quote “Do or do not. There is no try" (was that really said by Yoda, as in Star Wars Yoda???).

    It's those that "do" -- write, learn, enter contests, submit, revamp, hone their craft, don't give up and pray, pray, pray -- that will reap success in 2008. Even the Word of God says to be a "doer" of the Word. Because if you "do," God will be faithful to bless you -- whether with contest wins or publication or growth in your writing, 2008 will be -- as are my fervent prayers for all of us -- a year of true success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW great idea, Tina! You DA WOMAN!!!
    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude!! Yoda is my hero and he has lots of quotes attributed to the wise one.

    Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you.
    -- Yoda




    Grave danger you are in. Impatient you are.
    -- Yoda




    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    -- Yoda




    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
    -- Yoda




    Always in motion is the future.
    -- Yoda




    Around the survivors a perimeter create.
    -- Yoda




    Size matters not.
    -- Yoda




    May the force be with you.
    -- Yoda




    Blind we are, if creation of this clone army we could not see.
    -- Yoda




    A Jedi's strength flows from the Force.
    -- Yoda




    Help you I can, yes.
    -- Yoda




    Strong am I with the force.
    -- Yoda




    Agree with you the council does. Your apprentice Skywalker will be.
    -- Yoda




    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.
    -- Yoda




    Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing.
    -- Yoda




    When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not.
    -- Yoda




    There... is... another... Sky... walker
    -- Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  7. A question was mentioned on Camy's Blog. Is this contest geared only for romance writers. Frankly that was the intention but it was also not the intention to close doors, only open them.

    Obviously the first contest is for romance contests as that is what we specialize in here in Seekerville.

    The second should be a manuscript that can qualify for the GH. The categories are:

    http://rwanational.org/cs/contests_and_awards/golden_heart_awards/category_descriptions

    Send me or text me the first page and the last page or read it to me over the phone!!!!

    The third contest will require a copy of a letter of submission or rejection or revision. Your call.

    Am I going to police this?

    Um, no.

    I plan to be writing.

    If you finished a manuscript in 2008 and or submitted then you deserve to win a prize.

    So get moving people, there are only 364 days left to the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool contest! You guys are awesome. :-) I plan to enter all three.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! Contests for entering contests!


    Best wishes to everyone for a bountiful year of writing in 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  10. TINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Greatest idea ever in the history of great ideas, girlfriend!

    Well. Sliced bread was a pretty good one, too. And the whole fire thing. Cavemen rock! And there are certain disposable products which make my life a great deal easier than that of my forebears, but I digress...

    :)

    There is no contest which I'd take for winning #3. Chocolate or money????

    Please.

    Of course, fifty bucks could buy a lot of Russel Stover, even the private reserve label (very good quality, by the way) and in my house chocolate is considered a writing expense.... Must ponder this one.

    Oh, shoot, I'd have to win it first, LOL!!!!

    Dude, thanks so much for doing this. You rock the big Kahuna.

    Ruthy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Master of Motivation, you are.
    Mary 'Yoda' Connealy

    Hi, gang. I'm home. I missed you all like crazy. Although I had a terrific time in the WARMTH OF TEXAS. And I got a really nice breakthrough on a book, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great challenges.
    Blessings from Costa Rica

    ReplyDelete