Thursday, April 27, 2017

It’s All in the Details: Make Your Scenes Come Alive


Hi, everyone! I’m Candice Sue Patterson, and I write contemporary romance for Pelican Book Group. One thing that can be said about me is that I’m a detail-oriented writer. When I read, I want to be sucked into the scene—feel the sea spray on my face, taste the warm, tangy butter of the grilled lobster the hero is indulging. I want to connect with the characters. I want to laugh, cry, and fume along with them. Since I may never get the opportunity to travel the world, I also want to become a temporary resident of the setting—if only in my mind.

These things are vital to me when reading a novel. They capture my attention by creating a mini-movie in my brain. Am I weird? Probably. ;)

As a writer, I’m always careful to utilize these tools to create cinematic magic in my reader’s heads too. Today, let’s explore how to enhance your scenes during the revision/editing process by adding rich details using all five senses, choosing calculated words to convey a mood, getting deep into the hearts and minds of your characters, and creating a setting that sticks with your readers. 


We’ll start with the five senses. We all know them: taste, touch, smell, sight, and sound. Why are they important to a manuscript? Pavlov and his salivating dogs. Our senses are attached to our psyche. As we go throughout our day, we use these senses—usually without conscious thought—and they play a large part in how we respond to the world around us. Same for your characters. 

For example, your heroine walks into a coffee shop. One of the first things she would notice—even before fully stepping indoors—is the aroma. Smell. Rich, bold, made to order. Perhaps the peppermint flavoring draws her attention and coaxes her to stray from her normal dark roast. After all, today is the day she emerges from the comfortable box she’s built around herself and proposes her revolutionary idea to her boss, who, of course, will promote her to partner. Or maybe the smell of peppermint reminds her of Christmas, the season her twin sister was tragically killed in a car accident, and it causes her to lose her appetite for caffeine altogether, decides her boss is going to hate her idea, and leave. 

The next thing she would notice immediately is the number of customers, especially the ones in line ahead of her. Sight. If she’s in a hurry that number could affect her stress level, especially if she’s running late for said meeting, which may or may not cause her to be terse with the handsome stranger (aka future husband) in front of her who’s taking forever deciding what to order. If time is on her side today, however, she might take stepping out of that box a bit further and flirt with the handsome stranger. 

What about sound? The low hum of chatter, the whoosh of an expresso machine, 90s soft rock playing at a low decibel, the hustle of baristas filling orders. If your heroine is at the shop for caffeine and creativity, and perhaps a little match-making, she’s in the right place. But maybe her sister’s favorite Bryan Adams love song, along with the peppermint, becomes too much to bear on such an important day and, in the middle of her eyelash batting at the stranger, she grabs her filled order and flees the shop in tears. 

As she steps back onto the busy sidewalk, hand wrapped around her paper cup, her thoughts reel, and she steps aside for a few deep breaths. The warmth of the liquid seeps into her hand, calming her enough to refocus on the importance of this day. If her boss accepts the proposal, a new foundation will be created in her sister’s honor to help families of drunk driving victims. Perhaps the handsome stranger follows her out and introduces himself. She takes his offered hand, and the enticing combination of callouses and soft skin sends a bolt of attraction up her arm. Touch. It just so happens they’re heading in the same direction and agree to walk together. 

A block away, they pause at the flashing hand telling them not to cross the street, and she sips her peppermint coffee. It glides down her throat and invigorates her senses. Once again, she’s confident and in control. Until they reach her building and they decide to swap numbers. Her thumbs pause over her cell phone when the stranger reveals his last name. As recognition dawns, the peppermint turns rancid on her tongue. Taste. The handsome stranger is the drunk driver who killed her sister—convicted, served, and in desperate need of forgiveness. 

See how the senses are connected with our actions? Including such details will bring a richness to your scenes your readers can identify with. 

Now, let’s talk setting. Every book has to have one. Your setting should make sense to the storyline, fit your characters, and portray the right cultures and customs. Transylvania wouldn’t be scary in the heart of Amish country, and the battle between Captain Ahab and Moby Dick wouldn’t be the same set in the Sahara Desert, so don’t drop your characters in settings that don’t make sense. 

Done right, your setting can become a character in itself. My novel How to Charm a Beekeeper’s Heart is set in a fictional town on Mt. Desert Island, Maine. I didn’t want to just tell my readers this by having the hero drive past a “Welcome to” sign on his way through town. By the time readers complete the novel, I want them to feel like they’ve visited there. 

Here’s a short description from a scene where the hero and heroine meet at a popular seafood shack built atop a peninsula to discuss the rental property debacle they’ve been thrown into. The heroine is most affected by the outcome, as it could leave her and her young daughter homeless. 

Foamy waves crashed against jagged boulders, churning the greenish water. The color reminded Arianne of the jade Depression glass her grandma used to display on shelves in the summer kitchen. She missed the security of those days, the sun’s warmth washing over her through the windows at sunrise, bouncing prisms of light off Grandma’s collections.

She paused for a moment to enjoy the scenery, and inhaled a deep breath to steady the orchestra of nerves playing a grand concerto in her stomach. The woodwinds carried the melody of anxiety, mingled with brass notes of nausea. Then the string section played the slow, mournful tune of what loomed in her future. It would be beautiful music, really if it wasn’t her life’s song. 


Earlier, I mentioned how words can convey a certain mood. That’s what I’ve done here along with describing the amazing view of the restaurant (continued throughout the scene). Allow me to dissect these sentences to show my technique. 


Foamy waves crashed against jagged boulders, churning the greenish water. 

Foamy gives the waves texture. Crashed gives the waves sound. Jagged gives the boulders dimension. Churning and greenish gives the water movement and color. That may not seem like much, but look at the sentence without some of those words. 


Waves crashed against boulders, churning the water. 

The picture isn’t as three-dimensional. The sentence, and thus the setting for this scene, wouldn’t come alive. And those details cause the heroine to reflect on a childhood memory, back to a simpler time in her life when decisions weren’t so complicated and she felt safe and loved. 

Now, let’s dissect the second paragraph. 

She paused for a moment to enjoy the scenery, and inhaled a deep breath to steady the orchestra of nerves playing a grand concerto in her stomach. The woodwinds carried the melody of anxiety, mingled with brass notes of nausea. Then the string section played the slow, mournful tune of what loomed in her future. It would be beautiful music, really if it wasn’t her life’s song.



We’ve all heard an orchestra. The musicians are skilled, on alert, and passionate during a performance. A grand concerto is a complex set of music with various tempos and tones. I used this analogy to describe her body’s physical reaction to fear.  You can see the depth of her emotions because you can relate to it. We’ve all heard the aforementioned instruments, and many of us have an appreciation for classically played music. Even the more somber sounding pieces. None of us, however, want those depressing notes to become our life’s soundtrack. 

With these two paragraphs, I’ve not only set the scene and mood, but I’ve also included three of the five senses. A writer should set up every scene right away so the reader can envision where the action is taking place. To help me achieve good setting descriptions, I continually immerse myself with pictures I’ve scoured from the internet or books and magazines. I use Scrivener to write my manuscripts, which gives the option of placing pictures on the sidebar when writing. Pinterest is another great source.  

Last but not least, let’s get into our characters’ psyche. Why is this important? There’s nothing more boring than reading underdeveloped characters. In real-life, we’re around people every day. It’s okay if we don’t know all their business. But in a novel, we need to be in their heads, feel what they feel, know what makes them tick. That takes psychology. 

It’s not enough to know the heroine abhors alcohol. We need to know why she abhors alcohol. When sketching your characters, ask why, and keep asking why until you can’t go any further. So, as I mentioned above, the heroine abhors alcohol. Why? She doesn’t like seeing the negative effects it has on those who drink it. Why? Growing up, her father drank every night when he’d come home from work. Why? Her father was a cop, and he relied on alcohol to cope with the things he did and saw in his job. When he drank, he ignored his daughters, whose mother had died, forcing the heroine to step into an adult role and raise her younger sister, thus stealing her childhood. 

Push your characters to their limits and use words, body language, and actions that stir the emotions you want to convey. In my novella, Silver White Winters, the heroine, a country music singer struggling to revamp her career after rehab, returns to her childhood home in West Virginia when she discovers her dad and brother are trapped in a coal mine collapse. Pay attention to the highlighted words as some of the miners are rescued. 


A woman screamed.

Bodies shifted into action.

Reporters and cameramen pushed their way to the main gate.

Raelynn grabbed Mama’s hand and followed.

The Hudson Mine rep walked toward the gate. Men trailed behind him, but they were too far away to recognize.

Sirens split the night. Red and blue lights flashed in the darkness. Three ambulances parted the crowd as they drove to the gate opened by uniformed guards.

Mama crushed Raelynn’s fingers in her own.

Paramedics left the vehicles and ran to the approaching group.

The crowd hushed.

Raelynn slapped a hand over her mouth as she spied the miner’s uniforms, sooty skin. 
She almost didn’t believe the scene, afraid it was a mirage.

“Daddy!”

Raelynn looked up at the little girl next to her, propped on a man’s shoulders. Tears 
streamed down the child’s face as she yelled the word over and over.

Raelynn’s body convulsed with sobs.

Claps and laughter erupted. People hugged one another.

Mama bounced up and down with girlish energy, nearly pulling Raelynn’s arm out of 
socket.

The first miner limped beside a gurney, wheeled by a female EMT. His face, flooded by halogen light from the flagpole made Raelynn’s heart soar. “Billy!” [her brother]

See how my verb and adjective choices show movement and emotion? This heroine is pushed to her limits later in this scene upon discovering who was responsible for the rescue. 

When attempting to get into your characters’ psyche, put yourself in their shoes. Pretend you’re the one in their situation. How would you react? What would you say in response? What body language would you have? Then ask, does that match this character’s backstory and personality? 

Nothing I’ve mentioned here today is revolutionary to the world of writing and not every author uses the same techniques. These are the ones that work for me. Thanks for letting me stop by and chat today! 



Now, let’s hear from you. What helps you ground your readers into the setting? How do you sneak into your characters’ psyche? How do you incorporate the five senses? 

Today Candice is generously giving away a print copy of How to Charm a Beekeeper's Heart to one commenter. And Seekerville is giving away an ecopy! Winners announced in the Weekend Edition.



Weddings are the last thing beekeeper Huck Anderson wants to be associated with, considering his past. So when he inherits a building occupied by a bridal boutique, he aims to evict the failing business and open a sporting goods store. That is until his tenant ends up being Arianne Winters, a woman he's indebted to from a mistake made years ago. When a life-threatening injury derails Huck entirely, Arianne offers a compromise to keep her boutique and her life out of bankruptcy-she'll aid in his lengthy recovery if he'll allow her to remain in his building. But nursing her adversary proves challenging when her adolescent crush resurfaces. Amidst a battle-of-wills, their lives intertwine in unexpected ways, providing opportunity to overcome their pasts and start anew. Will this confirmed bachelor consider holy-matrimony, or will Huck's choices sting them a second time?





~ Candice Sue Patterson studied at the Institute of Children’s Literature and is an active member of American Christian Fiction Writers. She lives in Indiana with her husband and three sons in a restored farmhouse overtaken by books. Candice writes Modern Vintage Romance—where the past and present collide with faith. Her novel How to Charm a Beekeeper’s Heart was a 2012 ACFW First Impressions finalist and made INSPYs Longlist for 2016. For more on Candice, visit her website at www.candicesuepatterson.com.

127 comments :

  1. WOWEE!! What a powerful post that put me right in the scene at the coffee shop immediately!! I want to know what happened after she discovered the handsome stranger was the drunken driver years ago, it left me hanging...lol!

    As a reader, it's vital that I can connect with everything in your story! Like attracting a fish with the right hook or bait :-) Or a coloring book coming to life with just the right combination of colors, shading, light, etc. Writing is kind of like an art form, never really thought about that until now. Your examples are spot on and make the scenery vivid and full of life, the characters real, the emotions felt down in the heart & soul. I LOVE it!! I also like the examples of getting into the characters psyche, why they do what they do or feel the way they do about something. What makes them tick, if you will. Adding more layers to them so we can connect at a deeper level, sympathize with them, cheer for them, cry with them or whatnot. All those combined make for a sensational story for me as a reader and I'm sure for you as a writer too! I hope you get just as excited about writing your book as I do reading it :-)

    Lastly, I love feeling like I stepped in the characters shoes and left my little world behind. It's a bit surreal when the last page is read and I have to go back to the real world, lol! I've had many books move me like that, those are the authors I stalk...er, stick with for all time :-)

    Pleas put my name in the honey pot for "How to Charm a Bee Keepers Heart", thanks so much! Sounds like a book I'd be (or bee) all abuzz about ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, all abuzz! Good one, Trixi.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, Trixi! "Adding more layers," you hit the target there. For me, writing is like painting. My first draft is very basic but I add layers (details, deep point of view, etc.) with each revision. And, yes, I do get excited about writing it! I'm with you, a good book is a nice escape from reality for a little while. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your descriptions! Connecting with the emotions of the characters and feeling like I'm experiencing the scene with them makes the reading experience so much richer.
    Please enter me in the book giveaway! My dad was a beekeeper and the taste of honeycomb brings me right back to my childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Heidi. Good memories for you!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, Heidi! How neat that your dad was a beekeeper. There's nothing like the taste of honey straight from the hive! Especially on vanilla ice cream. ;)
      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. So DEEE-LIGHTED to have Candice here is Seekerville. As an avid or rabid, fan of her release, I am thrilled to have some of her writing secrets.

    I brought Baklava! Well, we had to have honey, right??? Coffee pot is ON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Seekerville, for having me today! Lunches are packed, kids are on the bus, and I'm fueled with caffeine. Can't wait to chat!

      Delete
  4. Okay, now I am hungry. I used to get the world's best baklava at a little bakery in Utica Square, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Sigh. Memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say I've never had baklava. You've convinced me that I need to try it. Lol

      Delete
    2. WHHHHAAAT??? Oh, my gosh. You must.

      Delete
    3. Baklava's my favourite dessert, on par with creme brulee! The Greeks were really on to something with that invention. :) Candice Sue, did you have to do a lot of apiary research for your book or do you have family who own one?

      Delete
    4. Good question, Laurie. I actually came across the world of bees when researching Maine blueberry farming. Maine farmers either rent hives or keep their own to ensure pollination of their crops. This intrigued me and soon I was elbows deep in bee research. They're SO amazing! My high school science teacher has a honey farm that we visit every year. I'd like to get a few hives of my own for our peach trees, but haven't done it yet.

      Delete
  5. A story that connects to my senses is one that I find hard to let go of.

    I'd love a copy of " How to Charm a Beekeeper's Heart " thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you are entered. How's the weather there DOWN UNDER? Getting ready for autumn?

      Delete
  6. Hi Candice:

    I'm so glad you're here! "How to Charm a Beekeeper's Heart" was one of the best books I've read in years! I'm working on a review right now.

    A few days ago I commented on your book in a post on using conflict to turn pages. I'd love to get your comment on how you wrote this part of the story. Was it pantsered or was it planned from the start?

    "(A second way to 'turn pages')... is having a conflicting love interest. This works great to turn pages but I don't recommend it. I'm reading such a book now, "How to Charm a Beekeeper's Heart", in which the heroine has to choose between two very worthy heroes!

    I'm 84% into the story and I ask you, "How can this story end well?" Can there be an HEA when one of the heroes is crushed?

    Wow! While it is easy to have a second love interest who is a cad and the heroine chooses the good guy, what do you do when both heroes are great and worthy guys? Well, I'll just have to turn some more pages!

    Frankly I didn't think you could do this! But you did came up with a great ending. I think everyone will love this book. I also love the 'value-added' quotes on beekeeping at the end of each chapter which ideally fits the story situation. Knowing these quotes were coming up at the end of each chapter was a 'page-turner' for me.

    Again, my question is: "Did you paint yourself into a corner with two worthy heroes and then pray for a way out, or did you plan the whole thing from the start?"

    Just loved the book, the setting, the characters, and the originality! I'll be following your future as a rising star.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question there, Vince. I can't wait to here the answer.

      Delete
    2. Vince, you have absolutely made my day! I'm so glad you enjoyed Beekeeper. My answer is, yes, I did kind of corner myself. Before I start writing a story, I always solidify the setting, the characters' story goals and motivations, and the "lie" they've convinced themselves of. The rest is completely seat-of-the-pants, and that's the fun part!

      About halfway through writing Beekeeper, I knew I needed to take things a step further. Huck was so set in his ways, he'd have to be forced into action. And nothing springs a guy to action like competition. That's where Jack came in. Problem was, as I wrote, I fell in love with Jack too! (Meet corner.) Without spoiling anything for those who haven't read it yet, love doesn't always fit a certain mold. It has beautiful moments, but it has ugly ones too. Love is a choice, not just a feeling, and I hope that's the take-away message readers get from my book.

      I hope that answers your question. If you need more, feel free to contact me through my website. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Candace! WOW! What an insightful post. I love how you have painted a picture with your words. The excerpt for Silver White Winters pull me in and made me want to read more. It made me feel I was right there. I love it when an author can engage me in such a short amount of time, pull me in and hold me until the final page. Awesome!

    I would love to win a copy of your book! Thank you for the chance.

    Blessings,
    Cindy W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cindy! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  8. Fantastic post, Candace! This is certainly one to print and keep for future reference. I totally agree, the best writing comes when writers puts themselves into their character's shoes. I've been dying to read, "How to Charm a Bee Keepers Heart", please throw my name into the drawing. Thanks for visiting today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there, all you early birds, I decided to join your ranks today... I don't like it (I am NOT a morning person).

    Candice, if you are weird, then I am too (but that isn't saying much in favor of your being normal) I love the mini movies I see in my head while I read.

    This post was very timely since I happen to be in the process of trying to revise some scenes that I have written in the past and make them have more details. The problem is I am terrible with writing details (I am such a scatterbrain, I can never focus on what is going on, just what will happen). Most of the time I have to dedicate a whole draft to adding details, and even that leaves much to be desired as far as details are concerned. Thanks for sharing your tips, I shall definitely be sure to utilize them.

    Looking at pictures definitely helps, but I don't really do it all that often. Maybe I should remedy that, might help me write my scenes.

    I'm excited to get to working on my story since I have finally figured out the key component to a relationship I was trying to figure out. The heroine actually has a relationship with one of my other characters that mirrors one I have with one of my friends, so I will be able to have an easier time developing that relationship now that I know where it stands and can actually base it off of my own feelings on the matter.

    Well off to write (I certainly have enough time to do it)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nicki! Yes, what I talked about today is tricky because these things are necessary but shouldn't be overdone either. For me, pictures definitely help. Do you have a cork board you can pin pics to for inspiration as you write? Or a Pinterest account? Making a board on Pinterest is helpful because you can put everything in one place and pull it up while you write.

      Best wishes on your manuscript!

      Delete
  10. Great tips! I've read a lot of posts telling me to add more senses to my scenes, but this is one of the only ones to show me how. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Iola! I'm glad it was helpful. :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you, Candice. This is something I strive for, and maybe should strive a little bit more. With the space constraints for genre fiction, it's important that we get it right and quickly.
    Fun fact (or as fun as I get at 6:20 in the morning): My former crit partner, Peggy Rychwa/Sheryl Marcoux, is about to publish her second book with Pelican. I workshopped the first book with her. She is really good.
    Enter me in the drawing for the print book, that's how I roll, sigh. I don't think books will ever go out of style, they'll always be around in some form. Like vinyl records.
    Kathy Bailey
    Hanging in there in NH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, word count is a big factor. Great news about Peggy! I'll be on the lookout for her next book. I have a fun fact for you as well (fun for me anyway): My nickname growing up was Kaybee. Why? I don't know, it has nothing to do with my name. But that's what my parents called me!

      Thanks for joining us today, Kathy (Kaybee)!

      Delete
  12. These are some fantastic examples, Candice! Your book is on my to-read list. I love books set in New England. My books are set in Vermont and Quebec, where I'm from. You know how everyone used to say NYC was the fifth character in "Sex and the City?" There are certain books where the setting can act as a character.

    I love writing descriptive sentences and your post has inspired me to go back to WIP and pepper in some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming, Josee! I love New England as well. You're right, setting is very important, and your example is spot-on. Best wishes on your current WIP!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the great tips, Candice! I love reading books where they come alive and I feel almost as if I've been there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candice, I haven't had the opportunity to read ypur books but I.Must.Change.This! This post shows just how prolific you are. All of your tips and examples are so descriptive.
    Thank you and Blessings!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, Candice and a great book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning, Candice.

    I am so weak in this area. (Actually, I have several weak areas. LOL.) All the little details does bring everything to life, but I totally skip over them as I'm sweating out each word just to get the scene on paper. I can see where it's the difference between good writing and great writing.

    Thanks so much for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write the same way, Connie Queen. Layering in comes at revision #25 or #56. HA!

      Delete
    2. Wait! Candice, you don't get this all in during the first pass, do you???

      Delete
    3. Don't worry, Connie, I'm weak in several areas too! That's where great critique partners come in. ;)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    4. I wish, Tina! My manuscripts get at least 6-8 revisions before publication. I'd like to lessen those numbers as I grow. We'll see.

      Delete
  17. Hi Candice,
    Welcome to Seekerville. Thanks for pushing us to dive deeper into our scenes so the reader can see what they're reading. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome, Candice! This post is an information-packed "workshop" for enlivening scenes and characters!

    Beekeeper sounds fascinating, too, even more so after reading VINCE's thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Myra. Glad you could stop by!

      Delete
    2. Hi Myra: Have you noticed that many of my favorite books are by Pantsers? If you can do it, it may be the best way to get the best results. Vince

      Delete
  19. Oh, I just saw that you're an ICL grad, Candice. Me too! I also taught their magazine writing course for nine years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! ICL taught me so much. Thanks for sharing our connection. :)

      Delete
  20. LOVE your post, Candice! Great suggestions for taking us deeper with use of power words/verbs and use of our five senses. I adore great description.

    How to Charm a Beekeeper's Heart sounds fabulous! I mean--seafood--HELLOOOOOO!!! AND, of course, the storyline grabs me, too. It's not all about the food or the fact the MCs initially meet at a seafood shack. Lol!!! (Even the title intrigues me and makes me want to read.) Maine's on my fave places-to-visit list. :-)

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I'm really hungry. Sea food for lunch?

      Delete
    2. Maine is the home of my heart! We traveled the entire coast of Maine in 2011, and I didn't want to go home. I wanted to stay! The seafood shack I refer to in the book is a fictionalized version of The Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. Amazing food, amazing atmosphere. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

      Delete
  21. Hi Candice and welcome to Seekerville. Thank you so much for such a comprehensive discourse on making those scenes come alive. I usually write my first draft and think its wonderful of course, but then when I go through it along with critique partners I see where I need to do all the things you suggested. Add the senses, include the setting, get into the psyche of the character. I seem to do okay with male hero but have difficulty with the heroine. sigh.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Very timely for me right now. Have fun today and thanks again for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Sandra. My hero always comes alive and talks to me. The heroine hides her secrets. It takes a lot of chocolate to make her talk.

      Delete
    2. Me too! Isn't that funny how it's easier to write in the hero's POV? My first drafts are awful. Truly awful. I write in layers, and it takes 6-8 revisions before it's ready for the publisher.

      Delete
  22. Great post, Candace! I know I need to be more intentional about description and how it connects to character emotions. Thanks for breaking the process down and sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful post on description and making a scene come to life. I'm saving this one for next month's editing spree.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Candice, what craft books are on your essentials shelf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!
      Writing the Christian Romance by Gail Gaymer Martin really put everything into perspective for me. The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman was essential, as well as the brilliant Julie Lessman's Romance-ology.

      Delete
  25. And I must admit, I'm intrigued by your tag line.

    Modern Vintage Romance. Tell me more! What do you mean by that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been a fan of anything old-fashioned, so I enjoy weaving vintage elements into my contemporary manuscripts (i.e. Hero drives a classic truck. Heroine wears vintage dresses or listens to Billie Holiday.) That way there's something in my stories for all ages.

      Unfortunately, things that were popular when I was a kid are making a huge comeback, which means I'm becoming vintage! :(

      Delete
    2. That's a terrific visual too. Thanks for sharing that. We're all vintage, lol.

      Delete
    3. How do you know you're vintage? You go to the antique store and see the dishes you currently use on sale there. SIGH.

      Delete
    4. Good one, Tina! That has actually happened to me.

      Delete
  26. Last question before coffee (okay, I was up until three am writing so I get a slacker break)..what's next for you? Have you considered a series? Gosh, I'd like to see more from the same location as Beekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Maine! Beekeeper was not originally contracted as a series, but I did receive a contract for book two this past December. I'm currently working on How to Stir a Baker's Heart (title tentative), set in Stone Harbor, Maine. The book will feature a new romance between a baker and a blueberry farmer, but readers will also see the continuation of Huck and Arianne's story.

      Delete
    2. I love the series titles you are continuing. GREAT HOOK!!!

      Delete
    3. Oh Candice, you stirred my bakers heart!! Blueberries and pastries go together like honey and peanut butter...yum!! I'm putting your new book on my very large want-to-read list ;-)

      Delete
  27. Hi Candice:

    As a copywriter for decades I had 5-sensing drilled into me! Each day I would get copies of my ads with sales figures attached for that day's production! This made me a true believer in the power of 5-sensing to involve the reader in your copy.

    I have also found that it helps to involve the reader with a variety of emotions. I like to color code my copy for the emotion that the reader and/or pov character is feeling on that page. This is easy with the highlight feature on word processors. I use red for angry/upset, green for jealousy/envy, yellow for happy/upbeat, blue for sad/depressed, purple for feeling loved/admired, orange for other emotions/feelings like 'injustice'. Get used to doing this and over time you'll understand the true meaning of a 'colorless writer'.

    Of course, you can color code for the five senses. This is a great way to check a chapter without having to even read it. I notice that 'taste' is often ignored and also quasi-senses like temperature, brightness in sun, wind on skin, etc.

    Also look for clichés in five sensing. It seems in the last year heroes always smell of three things. Some kind of soap, wood, leather, after shave. It's almost a mantra. Be creative. Have him smell of smoke because he just came from a smoke filled room, or gasoline because he just mowed the lawn, bacon because he made his own breakfast at home and burnt it. This goes right to your point about details. Just get off the trinity, please!

    BTW: I love the hero's home in Beekeeper. It is as if you gave the setting a personality. Think flaws, quirks, etc. Be free: in a book, unlike a movie script, you don't have to pay for a hard to find location. : )

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now you've tossed down that cliche gauntlet, Vince. You are absolutely right though. Working on my sensory.

      There is a character is Covert Affairs who is blind and yet he can distinguish everyone who comes in his office by sound, and smell. I think of that often and it really stirs up the imagination.

      Delete
    2. Color coding? What a great way to keep track of things! Thanks for sharing, Vince. I'm going to try that.

      Good point about the hero's smells. I'm guilty of this. When I'm in the hero's POV he smells guy things, like WD-40, but when I'm in the heroine's POV, she only smells the good stuff. LOL Thanks for challenging me to work on this. :)

      Delete
  28. I've printed a copy of this post. I want to be able to refer to it as I write. As a reader I love it when I feel like I am right there in the character's shoes and living the book. There have been times when I will dream about the characters what happens next in their world especially if I fall asleep while reading the book. I want to create characters like that when I write so this will be a good post to have close as I am writing those scenes.

    Thank you for coming to Seekerville. I have not read any of your books but now I am wanting to check out your books.

    I hope everyone has a great day,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wilani. I'm glad you stopped by. Best wishes on your current manuscript!

      Delete
  29. BTW, what's the story on the two different covers? I love them both, but the white one says Vintage Romance to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue cover is the original one given by my publisher. I love how the colors pop! The white was is the hardback large print version given by Thorndike Press when they contracted it for release last month.

      Delete
  30. Great to see you here, Candice Sue, my co-Pelican author. I've enjoyed your stories. I agree the best way to get into the senses, is to crawl inside the character's skin. Experience what is around them/you. That can be tricky in shorter-length projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming, LoRee! I absolutely agree with you. Shorter length novels can be challenging. You do such a great job!

      Delete
  31. Great post, Candice Sue!

    I'm more of a reader than a writer but enjoyed your article.

    May God bless you and all of Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Phyllis! Readers are vital, We appreciate you!

      Delete
  32. Candace, what a great post. I so appreciate your descriptions and how you immerse yourself in the scene so you can write from your characters' heads, so to speak.

    I tend to envision the scene before writing it. I think through the five senses and how they may play into what the character will experience. And, like you, it's like a movie running through my head. At least in books, we can somewhat convey senses like smell. I think that's harder to do in movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Jeanne! I think that's why the majority of us prefer the book over the movie. Books go so much deeper. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Not very many movies quite compare to the book, that's why I'd rather stick to reading :-) However, I have watched my share of well made movies that stick closely to the book.

      Delete
  33. Love this post, Candice - along with the examples. Those were uber helpful. After reading Vince's comment, I'm thinking Beekeeper is a must buy. I'm making note of it so I don't forget to buy it if I'm not fortunate enough to get it via Seekerville (name in draw please).
    I love heroes with the odd jobs. I've been contemplating an horologist (watch maker) as a hero.
    A former co-worker is a beekeeper in his quasi retirement. His honey is/was yummy. He lost a hive to some bee disease though and was contemplating giving up because he only had three hives to begin with.

    Must go check out your other books. Thanks again for sharing. I'll be referring back to this, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DebH! Glad you enjoyed it. I think a horologist is a great idea! Like you, I love characters with jobs different from the everyday norm. Hate to hear about your former co-worker losing a hive! It happens, as bees are susceptible to disease and mites. And pesticides. :(

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  34. Candace, Wow! Thank you for this helpful article. And now I want to know if the girl from the coffee shop forgives the handsome drunk driver. I was running right alongside on that story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this were a real story I was writing, I'd say, yes, she would! Although her journey to forgiveness would be long and difficult. Maybe I'll file this idea away for use later... :)
      Thanks for visiting, Barbara!

      Delete
    2. I agree with Barbara, I think it would make for a terrific story! The road laden with forgiveness and redemption is always the kind of book that stirs me heart & soul! So many things to work through and hurts to overcome, but I love when the characters learn to let God heal those areas in their lives. Makes for a powerful impact on readers like me! You must tuck that idea away for future reference...please?? I'm not above begging here...lol! You left us hanging ;-)

      Delete
  35. Great post, Candice. I am writing a book set in Nebraska (where I live) about a tornado. It is a topic that should make great use of setting and sensory details, which I am trying to do.

    Please enter me in the drawing for your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there's so much you could do using a tornado. If it's a romance, you could even tie that into the title somehow. Something catchy. Thanks for visiting, Sandy!

      Delete
  36. Candice, I'm thrilled you're in Seekerville today! Thanks for sharing terrific examples of using word choice and the five senses to establish setting, mood and characters. Details make each leap off the page and into readers' hearts.

    I loved How to Charm a Beekeeper's Heart! You're a master at conveying details through the senses.

    I'm happy we both share the title Hoosier. :-)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, it was your post that mentioned How to Charm a Beekeeper that turned me on to the book. Word of mouth STILL IS the best way to sell a book. No algorithms needed. It just works.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Janet! Your kind words are such a blessing after three long years of working to get this story "right." Hope us Hoosiers run into each other at another writer's meeting soon!

      Delete
    3. Tina, I agree! Readers will recommend the books they love.

      Janet

      Delete
    4. Candice, I would love to hook up again!

      Janet

      Delete
  37. This is a great post, Candice. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am a big fan of your writing.
    All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such a lovely post, Candice! Great examples. Love your prose!!!

    I must buy your book and read your Beekeeper story. I remember when Janet first mentioned it in her blog. Then Tina added her own praise for your writing. After reading this blog post, I am eager for more! The title for book #2 hooked me as well.

    The example you used in your first few paragraphs of this blog hit me like a sucker punch. I never expected the cute guy in the coffee shop to be the hated driver who killer her sister. Excellent story telling! Now I want you to write the rest of that story. Have you thought of turning it into a book? Such great conflict. Hard to imagine how they could overcome the past. But I'm sure you could make it all work out with a delightful HEA!

    My friend has bees. She has invited me to visit her hives, which I must do soon!

    Making a cup of tea and adding honey. Would you care for a cup?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby I'm with you on the coffee story...I think this hero and heroine need to come to life ;-)

      Delete
    2. Debby, I had that same reaction! Think of the conflict!!

      Janet

      Delete
    3. Maybe I will write that story someday! Thanks for stopping by, Debby! Go visit those hives!

      Delete
  39. What an amazing post. You provided examples that made me want to read your books and improve my own wipes.

    Please throw my name in the hat for either form of your book.

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, don't you just love autocorrect Bettie!!

      Delete
    2. Autocorrect is my enema, too. I mean enemy! See what I mean? LOL

      Thanks for visiting, Bettie!

      Delete
  40. Candice, this was a beautifully worded post, full of so many good tips... And congratulations on your success, that's a wonderful thing!



    And the Kindle price on Beekeeper is marvelous! What a great deal!!!

    You had me at COFFEE SHOP.... even if I don't want coffee, I buy it when I smell it at a coffee shop!

    And wherever I am, I search out fun coffee shops and treat myself to something marvelous because it's like a celebration of life to have good coffee. With caramel!!!!

    Thanks so much for being here today. And I agree that word of mouth (Tina to Janet, like a well-played NBA final!) is the best way to get our names out there. Building a readership is a day-to-day business and so much fun.

    And everyone that shares a favorite book helps an author which is very much like every time you hear a bell ring, an angel gets its wings! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, you should visit our here in the Oregon coast! We have coffee shops in every corner practically!! And I'm not talking just Starbucks either ;-) We are (or at least I am) coffee snobs who love our coffee roasters and specialty beans. I don't frequent Starbucks, I have a fantastic family owned coffee shop in town who roast their own blend of beans and sell fresh pastries, scones, lemon bars and etc! If you come for a visit, I'd SO take you there!!! They also have a whole wall of loose leaf teas you can buy or they can make a cup (or two or three) for you :-) Something for everyone's taste!

      Delete
    2. Road trip to Trixi's coffee shop! :)

      Delete
    3. I'm right there with you on the coffee, Ruth. I can't spend a day without it. Especially when I'm writing. And somehow it always finds its way into my stories too. In fact, in How to Charm a Beekeeper's Heart, Huck and Arianne have a spat over coffee.

      Thanks for popping in, Ruth. I'm a huge fan of your books.

      Delete
  41. Candice,
    What a wonderful post!! Thank you for all the examples too!

    I love how you incorporate clarity of descriptions to deepen characterization. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  42. CANDICE, this is a fabulous post! As a reader, I love it when the author enables me to become part of the story. Your descriptions are tantalizing!

    Please put my name in the honey pot for "How to Charm a Bee Keepers Heart". My grandfather was a bee keeper. I also have a friend, whose husband is a bee keeper.

    Thank you again for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for stopping by, Caryl. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. Who knew there were so many beekeepers in the Village!

      Delete
  43. Candice, what a great post! Welcome, and thanks for sharing your examples. Such a great reminder to include the senses and to go deeply into characters.

    I'm the world's worst at setting a scene. My critique partner has to pull that out of me every time she reads my work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't critique partners the best? I couldn't live without mine. Thanks for stopping by, Missy!

      Delete
  44. When writing my stories, I like to imagine watching it as a movie and a TV series. Then the scenes flow- I just have to make sure not to copy any movie or TV scenes I've already watched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lot of us writers see scenes play out in their heads as we write. Maybe that's what makes us writers?! Thanks for stopping by, Boo!

      Delete
  45. WOW, CANDICE, JUST WOW!! You had me at "tangy butter of the grilled lobster," girlfriend, and then you nailed me to the wall with everything else!!

    First of all, WELCOME TO SEEKERVILLE!! This is an absolutely EXCELLENT post!! So much so, in fact, that you have convinced me by your writing that I need to read one of your books.

    The first thing that convinced me was your statement, "These things are vital to me when reading a novel. They capture my attention by creating a mini-movie in my brain. Am I weird? Probably. ;)"

    LOL, if you're weird, then move over, sweetie, because I'm right there with you. One of my favorite blogs I've written is called, KEEPING IT "REEL" ... OR A "NOVEL" APPROACH TO PUTTING A MOVIE IN YOUR READER'S MIND, so you and I are two peas in a pod, it would seem. Which means I KNOW I would love your books.

    Seriously, this blog could be a mini-workshop, young lady, and I am sure glad I am in attendance.

    Hugs!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a HUGE fan of your Daughters of Boston Series, you have made my day, Julie! Romance-ology 101 helped me spice up the romance scene between the hero and heroine in this book, so you had a part in it! :)

      THANK YOU Seekerville for having me today!

      Delete
  46. God Bless YOU for hanging with us all day! You were a wonderful hostess. Praying for continued success for you and your PEN!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great post! One thing I think can help add life to a scene is thinking in terms of light. The way light interacts with different materials (I'm thinking minerals, but other materials apply) can be described in terms of luster. Metallic, transparent/glassy, pearly, waxy, silky. This is a very small part of what a writer can do to spice a scene up, but it can be effective. (Loved the description of the prisms!) Your book sounds interesting. I'll have to put it on my to-read list. Thanks for visiting today!

    ReplyDelete
  48. excellent post. The examples were what made this good.

    ReplyDelete