Wednesday, December 6, 2017

What Are Your Characters Afraid Of?

with guest Janice Hardy.


Fear is part of every story (and not just on the writer's side!). It motivates our characters, helps our readers understand what's at stake, and gives us emotional layers to plot with. It's a natural aspect of being human, even for characters who aren't swimming in the same gene pool as the rest of us.

Often, when we're creating a character and choosing their strengths and weaknesses, we look only at the big fears. These are the fears that are likely driving the plot or character arc and are central to the story. For example:

General fiction fears: Losing your job, your home, your children.

Romance fiction fears: Being alone, a cheating lover, meeting new people.

Fantasy fiction fears: Death of you or a loved one, a returning evil, the fate of the world. 

The type of story typically determines the type of fear at the core of that story, but all of these central fears could apply to any story regardless of genre. They're all something readers can relate to no matter where the story is set.

But that's not the only fear we'll toss into the mix. Our characters will have both rational and irrational fears, personal quirks and phobias, past traumas or experiences that left a mark, and so on. Odds are, whoever the character is, there's a deliciously deep well of fear to drink from. 

For example, being alone applies to everyone, as does losing things you care about, or having your "world" change in disastrous ways. A "returning evil" could be a dark lord from the Land of Guwen, or an old nemesis from high school who tormented you for four years. Losing a job, home, or child applies to the contemporary heroine as much as the fantasy hero or the romance couple. 

Which is a ton of fun to write, and why fears are vital to great storytelling. Everyone has them, and they affect everyone differently.

Let's explore how we can use our characters' fears to write compelling fiction.

Fear Is a Fantastic Character Motivator

Basically, people act to get something they want or to avoid something they don't want. Fear and desire are at the center of everything we do. 

Every story will have a goal and the protagonist will spend the story trying to achieve that goal. But it's also common in an early draft for the writer to not yet know why their protagonist is risking heart and soul to achieve that goal, and the story flounders.  

Look at the protagonist (and/or the other characters) and ask:

What are they afraid of in this story? In this scene? Fears affect the story in many ways, so you'll have big, plot-driving fears and small scene-advancing ones. You'll also have fears that affect the character arc or internal conflict. In pivotal scenes, you'll probably have multiple fears working against one another to create the most conflict.  

Why don't they want this to happen? If the goal is to avoid something, there's a reason, and it should be more than, "because the plot says so" in some way. Failure matters. 

Or...Why do they want it to happen? If the goal is to achieve or cause something, how will this benefit the protagonist? How will this avoid or alleviate a fear? 

How does the motivate them to behave? The fear in the scene will cause the protagonist to behave in a way that affects the plot, story, and/or character arc. Even if that fear causes them not to act, such as a scared romance protagonist being too afraid to talk to the love interest and missing a chance at love.

If the protagonist isn't afraid of something in every scene, that's a red flag there's nothing at stake. Low to missing stakes usually leads to a meh story that might be well written, but readers find themselves not caring about the characters or the outcome of the plot.

Fear Helps Our Readers Understand What's at Stake

One of the toughest questions a writer can get is from readers asking, "Why should I care about your characters and your story?" Stakes are a big reason why. This is why we see a ton of underdog stories about the little guy succeeding over the big guy, but very few about the successful folks winning yet again.



No one cares about winners who always win. We want to see the struggle not to lose.
What does your protagonist have to lose? They should risk something by getting involved or acting in whatever way the story needs them to, even if it's small. It could be something physical, such as a risk of injury, or emotional, such as a hit to their confidence, or major, such as their life or happiness. If there's no consequence for failing, there are no stakes. 
   
What will this cost them? If they fail in a scene, what happens? If they fail in the story, what happens? On the flip side, how does success in the scene affect them? Winning could demand a price just as easily as losing if the victory comes at the expense of a best friend or moral principle. 

If there's nothing at stake, that could be a red flag there's not enough conflict in the story, or the goal isn't personal enough for the protagonist. Remember--without conflict, there is no story.

Fear Gives Us Emotional Layers to Plot with
Since fears can be both rational and irrational, they're great tools to plot with. The desire for a goal drives the plot forward, while fear creates conflicts internally as well as externally to make achieving that goal a challenge. Phobias and past experiences might cause a character to behave irrationally in a critical situation and send the story in an unexpected direction. 

Where can you force your protagonist to face their fears? A great way to add conflict to a scene is to put the protagonist up against something they're afraid of. Not only do they have the external problem to deal with, it's compounded by the fear factor. It also offers potential scene settings that could play off those fears, such as a fear of heights, the dark, or social situations. Making the protagonist uncomfortable adds tension and keeps things unpredictable for readers. 


Where can the protagonist's fears make them fail? Sometimes you need the protagonist to fail without them looking like an idiot. Fear can give the protagonist a plausible reason to mess up without looking incompetent. This is also a great tool to cause a failure where readers least expect it.

How might the protagonist's fear cause them to struggle? For stories with strong character arcs, fear is vital, because it creates that necessary struggle to overcome a problem. Struggling is good, as it makes readers care more about the characters they like and causes them to root for them. A lack of struggling suggests a lack of conflict, which could mean the characters are just acting out the plot and not truly driving the story.

If there are no emotional layers or struggles to be found, that could be a red flag for unengaged characters that are just doing what the plot tells them to do. For highly plot-driven stories, such as thrillers or procedurals, this might not be an issue, but for more emotional stories, such as romances or contemporary fiction, it hints at a serious problem. 
Fear might not be fun in real life, but it's a wonderful tool to use in a story. It rounds out a character, causes them to act, and shows why acting is important to the overall tale. It binds a story together and weaves through the plot, subplots, character arcs, and even theme to tell a tale readers will lose themselves in. 


What are your characters afraid of?
 How does that fear influence the story?


Check out my newest book, Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means), an in-depth guide to how to use conflict in your fiction.


Today Seekerville is giving away an ecopy of Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means) to one writer. And if you are a reader joining us today, we have a $10.00 Amazon gift card. Winner announced in the Weekend Edition.


Janice Hardy is the award-winning author of the fantasy trilogy,  The Healing Wars, and multiple books on writing, including Understanding Show, Don't Tell (And Really Getting It), Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure and Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft. She's also the founder of the writing site, Fiction University, and a frequent speaker at writing conferences across the country. For more advice and helpful writing tips, visit her at www.fiction-university.com or @Janice_Hardy.

106 comments :

  1. As a reader, I can think back to the books I've read and see how fear affects the characters...actions, words, etc. For example; one I recently read (a suspense), the heroine was afraid to love again because she had lost her police officer husband of six years. To add deeper layer, the author made the hero the chief of police. That certainly piled fear upon fear! But it also motivated her (the heroine) to overcome or deal with that fear because she was falling in love with said chief of police :-)

    There's lots of examples that I can see in stories now! Honestly, sometimes I feel so bad for the characters because the authors put them through so much stuff!! But I know fear can also be a motivator to deal with it head-on & be able to overcome it too. So I know it's for the characters good and their growth. Maybe mine too if I'm dealing with the same issue :-)

    I always love learning more behind-the-scenes stuff when authors write a book. And that you really DO care about your characters even when you put them through the wringer sometimes...lol!

    Please add my name for the gift card, thanks so much. Great post Janice, really enjoyed reading this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear is often central to character arcs, so it's all over a story :)

      Delete
  2. Janice, welcome back. I've already got your book and I can tell you I am talking it up. This is the best thing next to your Deep POV book and I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, picked up the new WW along with a back issue of Jill's story. Enjoyed both of them! This seems more like something I could tackle!

      Delete
  3. Janice, Tina's rave review has me hoping I win the book, so please include me in the drawing.

    My heroine is terrified of water. It's because of a traumatic event in her past. And of course she is forced to face that fear head on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Characters must face all kinds of fear and this reader loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice, welcome to Seekerville!

    Way to make us think! I'm constantly asking, "Okay. What's the worst thing that can happen?" as I write.
    And when I think of a few things, I pile on more and MORE.

    In one of my stories, the heroine is fearful about relinquishing her independence again. She's started a new life and is about to open her dream business when the business burns to the ground. On Christmas. With the entire town watching. Once again, she must consider other options, none of them appealing. ...And of course, I had to pile on MORE. ;)

    Your recent book sounds fabulous! Please toss my name in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way to add conflict, Cynthia. And this book is so excellent. I'm digesting it in small chunks.

      Delete
    2. That's a great fear example, because it's a positive trait--independence. But you show how it can be a hindrance to the character.

      Delete
  6. Loved the post Janice. Fear can be a battle in life so it should be a battle in fiction as well. I have read many a book that the fear has gripped me and I feel it right along with the character.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Have a blessed day everyone!

    Blessings,
    Cindy W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. Never read a Mary Higgins Clark when alone!!!

      Delete
    2. So true. I just read one where I was so afraid of what might happen to one character, I was almost scared to read on!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic post, Janice! I agree with Tina, both of your books are a must for any writer. Thanks for visiting today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, just wanted to say I enjoyed your Woman's World story. Congratulations.

      Delete
    2. Jill, I just returned from shopping and they had a back issue of WW with your story. Awesome story! Congratulations!

      Delete
  8. Good morning Janice, this is going into my (bulging) Keeper File. I'm looking back at the characters I've created, and realizing that for most of them, their greatest fear is being Found Out. Sometimes it's layered on to another fear or several, but it's a running thread through my work. These people do not want others to know who they really are. Sometimes with good reason, sometimes not.
    I will be thinking about this as I go about my day.
    Kathy Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. being found out is a good one, and you can deepen that with reason why being found out is bad, of what about the "thing" discovered will be bad. Like you said, you can pile on those layers!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the enlightening post, Janice. This is an area of my writing that I need to get a better handle on, so please enter me in the draw for your book.

    My protagonist fears that she will be rejected by her beloved stepfather if he learns the truth about her. In the story she tries to develop skills in the mistaken belief that she needs to earn his love by becoming what she thinks he would like her to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great fear. You guys are champs with this! Good example of how fear can work to drive a character toward mistakes.

      Delete
  10. Love this post, Janice! Just what I needed to get my story moving again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janice = Brilliant.

    This was a wonderful look at why fear guides a story and that the risks taken by protagonists up the ante as the story continues. Their reluctance is the solid ground beneath the path... but the path's turns and twists are the journey.

    Wonderful, Janice! Huge thank yous for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So interesting! As a reader, I’ve loved books that features a hero or heroine whose fears I can related to. Perhaps that’s why I’ve loved those books and characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why fear works so well--we all have one somewhere. Relatable stories resonate with us well.

      Delete
  13. wow, Janice, Great insight into using fear to up the anti. Great post and one to really pay attention to. Thanks for sharing and being here with us in Seekerville. Have a fun day. PS Nothing to fear here. smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, nope, Seekerville is a safe space :) Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Interesting post. I'd love to win an Amazon GC.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning, Janice, and welcome to Seekerville! As you stated, our characters are driven by an over all "big fear" - but I also like your reminder that we need to keep in mind not only that big fear as we write a scene, but 'smaller' scene-specific fears that complement, layer, build and illustrate that biggest fear.

    I have a number of your craft books and always appreciate the practical, insightful guidance you pack into one! Thank you for joining us today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It all works in layers, from the overall story to the individual scenes. You might even have conflicting fears in some tales. Good reminder!

      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  16. Great post, Janice! Fear is a great tension builder.

    Please enter me for the GC.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back to Seekerville, Janice!

    This blog post definitely goes into my print and save pile. I purchased your book Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means) a couple of months ago. It's a wonderful resource!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Janice, this was a great post. I will use it as I work on my novel and make sure to show what my characters fear. I am currently reading your book Understanding Show Don't Tell. I would love to win Understanding Conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting post, Janice. I am sure your books are very helpful to writers. As a reader, please enter me for the gift card! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Janice!

    That conflict thing! One big hurdle I have to get over in every story I write is putting my characters through the fears and conflicts they need for the story. I like my characters, and I don't want to ruin their lives!

    And, like most people, I'd rather avoid facing fears and getting through them. But that isn't healthy.

    So I use tough love on my characters. I tell them it's good for them to think their loved one is dead, or to think they've hurt their little sister. It will all work out in the end, right?

    This was a great post - I'll be looking into your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone there. I know a lot of writers who struggle with the same thing. I hate conflict in real life, but I LOVE putting my characters into it. My motto: Whatever doesn't kill them makes them more interesting :)

      Delete
    2. LOL, Jan. I can just see you telling your characters that. ;)

      Delete
  21. So nice to have you with us, Janice! Yes, fear is huge in creating story conflict, and as I read this, I had the heroine of my WIP in mind. There's a traumatic event in her past that I haven't quite worked out all the details for, but I know it's there, and it's already holding her back from her HEA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good luck working out your heroine's fear :) You might try brainstorming or writing out that past event and get a fell for what she went through and how that might affect someone later in life. Maybe even write the scene and see what it triggers. Sometimes putting yourself right there at the moment helps shakes loose the details.

      Delete
  22. Great post, Janice. I see where I can up the stakes in several of my scenes to make my characters fears more sympathetic to the reader and make them care. Also, to up the conflict.

    I have all your books except the Conflict one, so please enter me!

    Blessings,

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great blog and a great book. I'm using Understanding Conflict right now to brainstorm my current WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome to Seekerville, Janice!

    The best stories are when the characters overcome their biggest fears to reach their goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Janice, so glad you can be with us today. Thanks for a great post on fear! Such an important part of our stories. I often include a character's greatest fear. Of course, he or she has to face that fear in the climax in order to have the transformation, the character arc that's so vital to a compelling story.

    Heading back to my WIP to ensure I've included enough "fear!" Something a suspense writer loves to add to any and every story! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oo suspense! You guys probably do this on instinct!

      Delete
  26. Hi Janice! What a great blog! Forcing my characters to confront their fears is one of my weaknesses, so this blog really helps me. Thanks so much and welcome to Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just keep reminding yourself that it's that struggle that makes readers love a character. They don't have to always win against their fear, but facing it makes readers care.

      Delete
  27. This is a really helpful way of understanding conflict--something that I occasionally struggle with. Thanks so much for coming! I'd love a copy of your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think we all struggle with it from time to time :)

      Delete
  28. Thanks for a great post, Janice! Currently in my WIP my hero fears losing control over his plans (or at least the illusion that he has control over his plans;). My heroine (I'm a romance writer, so we get to do this twice!) was adopted at birth; during the course of the book, she starts to make contact with her birth family, so at first she fears the lack of knowledge about her past, and as the book progresses, she fears losing what little she's managed to gain. (And just typing this out has helped some things crystallize for the plot, so thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Writing it down it such a great clarification tool.

      Delete
  29. In my book A Week of Werewolves, Faeries, and Fancy Dresses I have a character who is a dragon rider. The only problem? He's afraid of heights.

    Plus, it' pretty safe to say that all my characters are scared of dying. And most of them are scared of big monsters that go "Rawr!"

    Please enter my name for the writer drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. As a reader I do find books lacking in conflict and tension to be dry. I enjoyed your list of fears and types of stories. I'd never thought about fear in that way before. Thank you for a great post!

    Please enter me in the reader drawing.

    May God bless you and all of Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post! As much as I want characters I love to live happy perfect lives, that doesn't make for a compelling story ;) You really nailed some elements of what makes me connect emotionally with the main characters!

    Throw my name in the hat for the gift card please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true :) I had a friend of mine say she wanted to adopt my main character so I'd stop being men to her (grin). No fun in that!

      Delete
  32. Hi Janice,

    I just got your new book the other day. Thanks for your post today and I hope you have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Janice, I've been looking forward to your post. Once again you have made something so clear for me with this sentence: If the protagonist isn't afraid of something in every scene, that's a red flag there's nothing at stake. Thank you!

    Thanks, too, for Fiction University. What a phenomenal resource it is. My editing notebook is entirely made up of printouts of posts from Seekerville and Fiction University :-)

    Thanks for so generously sharing what you have learned.

    Nancy C

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Janice:

    I really enjoyed reading your post and thinking about all the points you made. I need to read all your books. BTW: Is "Understanding Conflict" on sale today or is that the regular price? (It's a real bargain.)

    Some thoughts:


    "Only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

    FDR


    (Which is a pretty terrifying thought if you really think about it.)


    "Such men as he (Cassius) be never at heart’s ease
    Whiles they behold a greater than themselves,
    And therefore are they very dangerous.
    I rather tell thee what is to be feared
    Than what I fear, for always I am Caesar."
    Julius Caesar, Act 1.



    Caesar was quick to add that he was not one to fear any man. (Did he fear they would take his words the wrong way?)

    It is said in direct marketing advertising that the "fear of loss" is a far greater motivator that the "desire for gain."

    Even courage may be motivated by the fear of being thought a coward. Yet that same character may still act with courage even when there is none to ever learn of his actions. Greed could be motivated by the fear of going without or the fear of being slighted by being taken advantage of or even just the pure joy of coming out on top of your fellow humans. Almost any action can be motivated by fear…even fear itself can be motivated by fear itself!

    For any given character actions there can be multiple possible opposing motivations from evil to angelic. This can lead to misunderstandings and even black moments!

    Fear is like a Swiss Army Knife: it has many practical uses. But it is only one spark plug in the craft engine. Make the characters sympathetic and much will be forgiven. Make the book hold the reader's attention and the book will seem to 'read itself'. Ask lots of questions the reader must have answered ASAP. (And milk the HEA for a second helping with a heartwarming Epilogue.)

    Please put me in the drawing for your book. Not because I think the information will make me rich but rather because I may well learn things that will save me from making embarrassing mistakes. : )

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real bargain, Vince and her other book that is amazing is Understanding Show, Don't Tell: (And Really Getting It) (Skill Builders Series Book 1)

      Delete
  35. Janice, welcome! This post is perfect timing for me. I'm working on the first draft of a novella and need to beef up the conflict as I'm zooming toward the ending. Thanks for the great info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized my comment didn't make much sense. I have felt like there's not enough conflict, and I think focusing on the character's fears can help that.

      Delete
    2. LOL, nope I understood what you meant :) Made perfect sense to me.

      Delete
  36. Janice, welcome back! Thanks for the excellent post on the importance of fear. I hadn't thought of having fear in every scene but it makes perfect sense. If my POV character has a goal for the scene, then s/he has a reason to fear--either that he won't get what he wants or if s/he does, something happens to make things worse and the consequences up the fear.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good to be back. It doesn't have to be do or die every scene, but at least a little worry should be there :)

      Delete
    2. A little worry puts fear in perspective.

      Janet

      Delete

  37. Janice, Meant to say your book sounds great. You're a very savvy teacher of craft!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  38. Janice, GREAT information. It's coming off the printer as we speak. Fear in every scene. That's huge.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for sharing some great information. Please throw my name in the drawing for your book. I've found out that most of my stories are to nice so I'm trying to work on conflict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have fear and conflict and still be nice. Anyone who's ever tried not to hurt someone's feelings over something they needed to know or hear has faced that. Some of the best conflicts are between people who care about each other.

      Delete
  40. Interesting post Janice. I haven't really thought about it but thinking about the books I've read...it makes sense. Fear is a part of every story...hm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a broad range, but it's always there in some fashion.

      Delete
  41. Janice! Thank you for spending the day with us! Praying for continued succes and can't wait for your next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for letting me hang out again :) Always a blast to visit.

      Delete
  42. Thank you for this post. It is so on point. I love reading and I love characters, but when a character just floats through it all or has absolutely no problems other than perhaps an unruly mane of hair (how is that EVER a problem by the way), I lose all interest. Thanks for the tips.

    No need to enter me in the giveaway. I'm sold and grabbing the ebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hair needs to be naturally curly I think (grin). But yes, if that's the biggest problem they have, they have no problems! hehe

      Delete
  43. Janice, thank you for this wonderful look at fear and conflict. I read Understanding Show, Don't Tell and learned so much. I look forward to your new book and putting your lessons to use. Thanks for the great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for the great info here Janice. I knew that my characters needed to fear something, but I didn't think about that for every scene and not just the story as a whole. This is a great help while I am editing. I know a few scenes that I need to put those fears into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! This is why I love reading writing blogs. It reminds us of the stuff we know, but don't always remember to do or check.

      Delete
  45. I think most of the books I read have characters that are afraid of something! It could be commitment, loving again, a "real fear" (water, heights, etc.) or something like that. Reading so many books with characters having some type of fear has made me look inward to examine myself at types and wonder what MY fear is! It has helped me open myself up a little more because I have realized that I have closed myself off at times! I'm grateful for this awakening!

    ReplyDelete
  46. As a reader, I love to get ahold of a story that literally has me gripping my book or chair for fear of what is coming next! Those make for some great late into the night reads, cause I never want to put them down!
    Please enter me in the reader giveaway!

    Blessings,
    Tiffany Hall
    jtabalk(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the best ones :) I've lost many a night's sleep to those.

      Delete
  47. When, oh when, am I going to remember that Blogger now eats comments I leave when using Safari? It's been one of those days . . . sick kid, teen 'tude and things to do for preparing for Christmas. I stopped by here early this morning and shared a comment . . . but never checked to make sure it published.

    Not that it matters now. BUT, Janice, this was a great, in-depth post about character fears. You shared so many great points. I have learned the value of making sure my characters have greatest fears. My Book Therapy helped me understand how we as writers can use these. Your post really showed the relationship between fears, stakes, and conflict. When we do them all well, the story will be un-put-downable. ;)

    Great post! Sorry for the uber-late comment!

    PS—Your book on Understanding Conflict looks great! I'd love to be in the draw for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo sorry to hear that. Hope your day gets better soon.

      Glad you enjoyed it ;)

      Delete
  48. Your book sounds really good (and so was this post!). Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    I'd love to get my name thrown in the hat for the drawing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like it, but I'm biased (grin). Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
  49. I always love it when a character can overcome his fear. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete